Calcium and magnesium options? TIA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roadster3043

Aquarium Advice Activist
Greetings.

What options do I have to supply calcium and magnesium to my 46gal. FW tank?

Any household products?, if not which aquarium product I should use?

Thank you.

I use epsom salt, which is magnesium sulfate and marine salt (Instant Ocean), which has calcium and other trace minerals in my cichlid tank to increase the hardness of the tank water. Additionally, I have argonite sand, which is calcium carbonite.

Can you be a bit more specific about your application?

Thank you shawmutt.

Well, I was reading a recent copy of AFM about water chemistry and it recommends that if you are having trouble with livebearers(which unfortunately doesn't state what kind of trouble) that the problem could be lack of hardness in the water.

So I wanted to ask what do AA members use for such purpose before I start doing anything about it, and read your insights and thoughts about it.

Greetings.

Well since I haven't had the chance yet to buy the KH and GH test kits, I cannot answer your question just yet Voodoo.

TankGirl, so far no problems with my livebearers(I think), just wanted to know what problems can come up with the KH and GH not being in the right range. Also wanted to know what other people use to maintain the levels, etc., before I go out and buy the wrong thing.

Roadster-

Unless your hardness levels are really low- I wouldn't worry about attempting to increase them. The fact your fish are doing well right now indicates everything should be in the ideal range for your fish. Granted, there are probably a few species that may need precise water conditions, but most species available will adapt to a wide range of parameters. I'm breeding Endlers in water straight from my tap, although I do add a bit of Blackwater Extract to make things more "Amazony" for them. :wink:

what types of livebearers are you working with? :D

Depending upon the livebearer in question, it is very difficult to determine exactly what is best for them because you can't know where they came from. There are some mollies, for example, that really do come from slightly brackish waters, yet not all do, and most have been bred in aquariums for so long that it is not necessary (trying not to get anyone started on the "salting of the molly" red-hot issue... just an example!)

I agree that if they are thriving and doing that thing they do, with viable fry, then you are in good shape. I am keeping some in my African tank that is going to someday be home to some of Voodoo's shellies ( :wink: ) and that tank has calciferous rock, buffering sand substrate and calcium carbonate in the filters, because the shelldweller cichlids really do better with hard, alkaline water. However, when the shellies arrive I do plan to acclimate my little fry machines to one of my community tanks, with straight tap water.

Voodoo - I am jealous of the Endler's! The only time I saw any around here they were in with the guppies in a huge tank, and there were too few to school, so the chap could not catch any for me. I need to join a local club, but right now the only ones are salty that I can find. Someday, in my spare time.... :)

Greetings.

Thank you for all the info.

The livebearers that I have right now are: sailfin mollies, black mollies, gold dust mollies, silver mollies and fancy guppies.

The rest to my knowledge are egg layers.

Again, thank you all.

As mentioned above it really isn't absolutely necessary for you to increase the hardness, but also never start adding things to your water until you have all of the appropriate tests. And if you do increase the hardness of the water make sure to do it very slow. Mix a full strength solution and then add it in small doses to regualr water changes over a couple of weeks.

Tankgirl-

The multis are growing nicely (I've got about 70 fry in various sizes). Will be sending some to you as soon as possible- I'm hoping sometime in January.

Are you interested in Endlers? I ask because I've got lots of babies sprouting. Maybe I can add a bag of them with the multi shipment? :wink:

Ooooh...Endlers... that would be great to get some of them with the multis! I do have a spare tank (of course) in the garage that I can dust off, and then I can do an Endlers tank with crypts and sand. :D

This hijack is officially over.... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom