Calcium - Kent Tech vs. B-Ionic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Anyone notice any difference between these two-part calcium/alk buffers? Anything to distinguish between them?

Thanks.

Actually the Kent is alot weaker. Th B-ionic a much better product with a higher concentrated level of calsium. I really do not recomend Kent products since they are really not that good. They are well marketed but they just lack the potency of products like ESV or Seachem.

B-ionic a much better product
I agree, no clouding of the water, you can "adjust" your numbers (ca, alk) much more easily with the b-ionic. I noticed everything looked better after I started dosing it.

Thanks.

One concern I had is that at some point after using B-Ionic for months, my alk went way up. I eventually got it down, by just using the calc part, and then switched to Kent. Kent, however, seems to be weaker...less coralline forming on the live rock.

I user the kent stuff exculsively. I bought a gallon of each A and B last month for $30. Anyways, I have coralline growth everywhere. My dead base rock is almost completely pink and purple now. Not bad since I set the tank up in february.

Jim

Jim, I just bought Kent's A&B. Can you tell me how much calcium does it raise after each recommended dosage?

Truthfully I haven't measured before and after. I usually use the recommended dosage every other day. That seems to keep everything in check. It was all out of wack for a while when i started the tank. Then I found out that the uncured sand tends to remove magnesium from the water until it gets saturated. At that point, the water cannot hold as much calcium as we want it to.

Once I got the magnesium back up to par, the calcium levels also returned to the 400 ppm range.

Jim

I have been using the ESV once a week, should I use it more often?
Also, how much are you guys paying for it, I am fresh out and I am planning to buy the gallon two pack, any suggestions?

SpeckledGrouper said:
I have been using the ESV once a week, should I use it more often?
What you add should be based on need. Make sure you get the proper test kits for alkalinity and calcium. These will help determine how much you need and when. Depending on the types of animals you have, weekly water changes may be easiest until your stocks build.

Cheers
Steve

So each 10 ml of the liquid dosed should raise the Ca by about 3.5 - 4 ppm. Start on the cautous side when you begin and test before and after both parts have been added in equal portions. This will help you gauge the rate of depletion and how much each dose should be and if daily, 2x weekly or weekly are needed. It really depends on the CaCO3 growth within the tank.

Cheers
Steve

Do you add both parts at the same time or stagger them?

You have to add the alkalinity first followed by the calcuim. I find it easier if you first make sure your alkalinity and calcium are balanced before switching to the 2 part ionic buffer. Then by adding equal amount of part A followed by part B will maintain the balance.

Back
Top Bottom