Calculating Pond Size (Need MORE help!)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happyhillbilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
EDIT: I'm cutting some of the liner to make a waterfall. Then FINAL size (hopefully) is 13x17. Sorry, I have a lot of trouble in math, I'd rather have someone experienced do it than screwing up my pond.

I am thinking maybe 5x 16 or so.

5x16 is roughly 800-1000 gallons or so.

Lenth X Depth X 2 then you need a border of 1 foot on each side

So for example you could have a pond that was 3' deep with dimensions of 5' x 12. With the depth part of the calcuation, all that matters is max depth.

yep. 3 feet times two=6 plus 2' extra=8 then the extra left on that side is the length (5')

I did the same on the other side.

He did roughly the same calucations as I did, and they are feet. Using my equation and the max depth you want, you can figure out how long/wide your pond can be.

No, I mean what does 5 ftmean and what does 16 ft mean? Sorry, I'm just realy tired and out of it.

Yes, the finish pond area (The surface area on your lawn) it will take up will be around 5x16 feet.

Either way you want it.

If you just want something in the bottom of the pond to circulate water and have a seperate one for the waterfall that would be fine.

I would stick the pump in the pond and have tubing going up to the waterfall.

Get a Laguna Powerjet, they are extreemly energy friendly and cost not a lot to run (Cheaper than the one you were planning on)

www.drsfostersmith.com to get those.

That filter is exactly what I had on my small pond. ~4'x8'x2'. That would be good for a small pond, or perhaps for a small waterfall (mine only powered the equivolent of two small spitters). I would suggest a larger pump, and perhaps even a canister filter. Check out the reviews section (there is a link at the top of the page) to see the ones I have. Pumps and filtration is not my strong suit, so I would wait until AFF and CC show up with some better advice than I can give.

I think the formular is get the cubed footage of the pond and times it by 7.1 (7.something it might be a little higher but I think it is 7.1)

the formula to get your pond liner is

Pond Width + (Pond Depth x2) + 1 foot (for edging) + 1 foot extra = Liner Width
Pond Length + (Pond Depth x2) + 1 foot (for edging) + 1 foot extra = Liner Length

and the formula for pond volume is

Pond Length x Pond Width x Pond Depth x 7.5 = Pong Volume

that is for a rectangle for a circle your replace the 7.5 with 5.9 in the above formula

The origional dimensions are 5X12. Sorry ReefNoob, I don't realy get what your saying.

Back
Top Bottom