Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The height is what I'm interested in I don't want a lot of height just carpets and bushes/privet type plants.

I'm thinking of trying some Pogostemon helferi again too.

I just ordered some of that today aswell! I swear you have been browsing my plants list ;) haha we both have the same idea, nice flowing low plants. I'm over looking after giant stems! By the sounds of it your tanks going to look great!

I just ordered some of that today aswell! I swear you have been browsing my plants list ;) haha we both have the same idea, nice flowing low plants. I'm over looking after giant stems! By the sounds of it your tanks going to look great!
Where did you order helferi from ?

I got mine from my lfs. They said they could order it in for me. I'm in Aus tho so that prob doesn't help you much ;)
I knew you were outside the US couldn't remember. I like that plant alot. Most my plants came from a member on another forum. I bought all he had. I didn't think it would grow for me. It has tripled since I had it. Lol

Some plants are becoming more readily available. Just a few years back Pogo stems were like $10 each! Now you can get tissue culture for so inexpensive ~7.99-9.99! Just as an example of how much things can open up with so much interest in the hobby now thanks to some well known and watched aquascapers :)

Blyxa is a really neat looking plant. Red in a tank is always a welcome addition.

Can't wait to see the magic - plants and your excellent abilities make this like a cliff hanger......!?!?!

I promise I didn't haha. I've had it before and quite like it. It just so happens to be I nice size up from the tight carpet.

Any other suggestions that fits the same can't of profile? S repens would probably work too but I'd have to be in top of it more.

I did see Lilaeopsis brasililiensis and think that could work also. Decisions.

Some plants are becoming more readily available. Just a few years back Pogo stems were like $10 each! Now you can get tissue culture for so inexpensive ~7.99-9.99! Just as an example of how much things can open up with so much interest in the hobby now thanks to some well known and watched aquascapers :)

Blyxa is a really neat looking plant. Red in a tank is always a welcome addition.

Can't wait to see the magic - plants and your excellent abilities make this like a cliff hanger......!?!?!

Wow thanks Autumn. You haven't updated you threads for a while. What's occurring? Blyxa is just kinda different and every time it's used (especially in Dutch style aquariums) it just looks fantastic. Never out of place.

I am actually really look forward to the weekend. It's getting bad though because I can't settle when something is not right. All day I've been thinking about aquariums and plants. It's starting to affect my work! Lol. Anyway deep breathe. I impatiently waited for the girlfriend to leave the house and got stuck in. Pictures to follow....

I promise I didn't haha. I've had it before and quite like it. It just so happens to be I nice size up from the tight carpet.

Any other suggestions that fits the same can't of profile? S repens would probably work too but I'd have to be in top of it more.

I did see Lilaeopsis brasililiensis and think that could work also. Decisions.

Lilaeopsis is horrible I wouldn't recommend. Spreads like wild fire and is an algae magnet.
Have you checked out the anubias nana petite yet? Maybe some needle leaf Java? Or Christmas stars?(Christmas stars could be pogo tho not sure)

I like the nana petite. It does grow faster than what I thought.

So changes are as follows. I moved the main hardscape forwards about 2 inches. Leaned the rocks back a touch and curved them round more. I also shortened the Monte Carlo by about 5 inches.

This allowed more open space at the back for me to make a path leading down with a raise on the right and side which is slightly lower than the main high behind the tree. This low raises platform will be planted and so will the path. The path will lead into the open area where another plant will congregate.

Hopefully you can see the contours and raises from the pictures. The raise gives a move 3D effect from front to back. Once planted this should be made more clear.

I personally think it looks better although it doesn't look like I have done much.

IMG_2421.JPG

IMG_2422.JPG

IMG_2423.jpg

I'm hoping it's a slightly different approach from some of the latest aquascapes. I know paths are used a lot in Japanese style scapes but are often sparsely planted whereas paths used in Dutch themes are planted well I'll be using less stems.

Feedback please [emoji846][emoji846]

So changes are as follows. I moved the main hardscape forwards about 2 inches. Leaned the rocks back a touch and curved them round more. I also shortened the Monte Carlo by about 5 inches.

This allowed more open space at the back for me to make a path leading down with a raise on the right and side which is slightly lower than the main high behind the tree. This low raises platform will be planted and so will the path. The path will lead into the open area where another plant will congregate.

Hopefully you can see the contours and raises from the pictures. The raise gives a move 3D effect from front to back. Once planted this should be made more clear.

I personally think it looks better although it doesn't look like I have done much.

View attachment 292843

View attachment 292844

View attachment 292845

I'm hoping it's a slightly different approach from some of the latest aquascapes. I know paths are used a lot in Japanese style scapes but are often sparsely planted whereas paths used in Dutch themes are planted well I'll be using less stems.

Feedback please [emoji846][emoji846]

Best one yet bud, I think with the plants u mentioned it should look really nice. [emoji108]

Best one yet bud, I think with the plants u mentioned it should look really nice. [emoji108]

Thanks mate and the best thing is it looks just how I had imagined it too. Had to put a couple of substrate supports in there this time too. Tomorrow I'll take a picture from the side to show how far the substrate is banked up.

My co2 is due to run out soon. I'm thinking of buying another extinguisher but space is tight and I don't know if I can justify having two.

Wow thanks Autumn. You haven't updated your threads for a while. What's occurring? .

Have had some tank depression in 2016...:rolleyes:

There has been a reduction in tanks over the last year, too much busy time and not enough tank time - and I am changing tanks around, today as a matter of fact, emptied the 12G Edge - everything had algae, needing a fresh start. FW - 72G running well. 11.4G Mr Aqua Tangerine Tiger breeding nicely and their tank is a jungle of huge cloud of Subwassertang, Lg Java fern and a couple mosses.

Spec V - Making a new thread for this one. :)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/autumnskys-spec-v-353591.html#post3400786

60074-albums14621-picture70798.jpg

Edge 12G revamp might get its own thread too Probably going to be a CRS or PRL tank...
60074-albums13090-picture70810.jpg

Have had some tank depression in 2016...:rolleyes:

There has been a reduction in tanks over the last year, too much busy time and not enough tank time - and I am changing tanks around, today as a matter of fact, emptied the 12G Edge - everything had algae, needing a fresh start. FW - 72G running well. 11.4G Mr Aqua Tangerine Tiger breeding nicely and their tank is a jungle of huge cloud of Subwassertang, Lg Java fern and a couple mosses.

Spec V - Making a new thread for this one. :)

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f19/autumnskys-spec-v-353591.html#post3400786

60074-albums14621-picture70798.jpg

Edge 12G revamp might get its own thread too Probably going to be a CRS or PRL tank...

60074-albums13090-picture70810.jpg

Oh no tank depression! I look forward to your new threads. I love those little fluval spec V's I'd love to run one at some point.

Oh no tank depression! I look forward to your new threads. I love those little fluval spec V's I'd love to run one at some point.

Its been in the supply closet for months and I never really looked at it. Until the last few days. The tank looks awesome. But..., here is the but, it is a long and narrow space - soooo narrow thngs do not seem to have enough room to fit. And believe me I am used to small, odd spaces, keeping Edge tanks which are really odd shape to deal with (and other small tanks).

Thanks!

Its been in the supply closet for months and I never really looked at it. Until the last few days. The tank looks awesome. But..., here is the but, it is a long and narrow space - soooo narrow thngs do not seem to have enough room to fit. And believe me I am used to small, odd spaces, keeping Edge tanks which are really odd shape to deal with (and other small tanks).

Thanks!

Gives you a good chance to practice making depth ;) I love the look of the spec v's and I've seen some amazing scapes in them

Plants are in! Just waiting on the blyxa to arrive.

Plants are.

Micranthemum (Monte Carlo)
Pogostemon Helferi
Dwarf sag
Dwarf hair grass
Alternathera Roseafolia
Lilaeopsis mauritiana
Blyxa japonica
Christmas moss

I may add some more stems along the back in time but for now I can finally relax and let it grow in.

IMG_2425.JPG

IMG_2426.JPG

IMG_2427.jpg

Back
Top Bottom