Caliban's AquaOpti 85L

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Not dosing calcium.

I have a new test subject. Test #463 will be a longish one.

In the meantime I messed around with my iPhone filters so this pic is a cheat pic really. Maybe that's what ADA do :p

IMG_2643.jpg

Hey thanks! It's a soil substrate (John innes no1) capped with eco complete.
I see that's UK and you live in the UK lol. Probably not available in the US.

I'm looking for a new substrate. I currently use potting soil. I'll be setting up a new tank this summer, so I'm looking to go a different route.

I have major algae issues, and I'm not quite sure what it's stemming from. I may have put to many root tabs in or it's from the soil or its from the lights or its from overfeeding. It might be a combo of all that haha. Can't figure it out.

Not dosing calcium.

In the meantime I messed around with my iPhone filters so this pic is a cheat pic really. Maybe that's what ADA do :p

View attachment 298280

Haha "test #463". So many u actually have to number them now [emoji23] u still dosing EI? Or are u changing up all together?

Haha "test #463". So many u actually have to number them now [emoji23] u still dosing EI? Or are u changing up all together?

Haha no that was a joke. I feel like I have tried 463 things to get things moving. I know from the outlook things look ok but I'm still not happy. I won't be happy until I get perfect growth [emoji846]

My plan is to leave well alone and do small consistent water changes. See if anything stabilises.

I see that's UK and you live in the UK lol. Probably not available in the US.

I'm looking for a new substrate. I currently use potting soil. I'll be setting up a new tank this summer, so I'm looking to go a different route.

I have major algae issues, and I'm not quite sure what it's stemming from. I may have put to many root tabs in or it's from the soil or its from the lights or its from overfeeding. It might be a combo of all that haha. Can't figure it out.

The issues won't be due to the potting soil unless it's freshly submerged. Possibly you have too much light or the photoperiod is too long. You should start a thread so you can get help.

Not dosing calcium.

View attachment 298280

I only use calcium to raise KH a little. My KH at water change is 2 or 3, and I like to keep gh and kh at about 5 degrees. SO only at water change do I add some calcium chloride and epsom salts.

1/2 tsp each for my 30 gal

I feel like the tank has turned a corner today. Things just look better. I've made a number of changes which seem to have benefited.

Image1492970500.338279.jpg

Also here's what happens when you dose even a small concentration of micros. Easylife Profito at 7ml.

Image1492970573.411245.jpg

Thanks. Well I'm just using a surface skimmer. I couldn't even tell you what the flow rate is. I bought that powerhead you can see last week but it's too powerful so I don't switch it on I just haven't taken it out yet. Waste of £30.

The skimmer is a good idea because it drags the co2 bubbles in and spits them out across the tank.

Thanks. Well I'm just using a surface skimmer. I couldn't even tell you what the flow rate is. I bought that powerhead you can see last week but it's too powerful so I don't switch it on I just haven't taken it out yet. Waste of £30.

The skimmer is a good idea because it drags the co2 bubbles in and spits them out across the tank.

Looks good! Had abit of a trim I see. Looking nice and tidy!

Thanks. I don't think it's THAT good though. I'm just trying to figure a few things out.

Lots of baby shrimp. All different colours it's hard to know what's what

Whew I got behind on this thread. Just curious, why do you have to uproot ludwigia to trim it?

Also, obviously, I agree that your tank looks amazing.

Whew I got behind on this thread. Just curious, why do you have to uproot ludwigia to trim it?

Also, obviously, I agree that your tank looks amazing.

Well one reason would be if the lower stem is scraggly. Or in my case it's just preference. I like to replant the tops and discard the bottoms on stems like ludwigia, bacopa, hygrophila as the tops stay nice and you can keep the look you are going for. I prefer those stems individually. Whereas rotala macrandra I just shear them straight across as the look better when more bushy and compact.

Thanks very much [emoji846]

I didn't think about that. Makes sense.

The problem with the larger, thicker fast growing stems is that the roots are just as larger and invasive. Pogostemon erectus as lots of roots but they are weaker and thin. Ludwigias leave a 'sinkhole' in the soil and that areas needs attention when replanting.

Back
Top Bottom