Call me crazy, but i'm considering a 3 gallon pico!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gkuzel

Aquarium Advice Freak
Does anyone have any advice? (besides getting a bigger tank =p) I'm liking the challenge. (Foster and smith had a pretty good deal on it)

I have plenty of friends whom I can get cycled water from. Set up won't be an issue, and I care for all the salt water tanks at work.

Also, anyone have any coral/stocking suggestions? It's got quite a hefty filter on it for a three gallon tank. I believe what I read was a 40gph? it also comes equipt with a 50/50 light.

Any positive input would be greatly appreciated!!

"Cycled" water will do pretty much nothing for you.
If you're talking about the picotope then you'll be limited to softies with the stock equipment.
You'll really want to look into an auto-top-off of some sort as well.

40GPH isn't strong at all for a 3G, actually fairly weak. If this is the JBJ picotope then you'll be lucky getting away with softies in there.

My advice is an ATO because you'll be topping off at least once a day. I'm usually the first to say that nanos aren't as hard as everyone says, but a 3G tank with an open top for a first SW tank is truly asking for trouble IMO.

3 Gallon Pico

YouTube - 3 gallon pico

Once you get the 3 Gallon Pico cycled,maintaining it is not that bad.You can see mine at the above link.It is the 3 Gallon pico.I got it from Foster and Smith,I got an additional Pico filter from them for like ten bucks and got the small heater from walmart.I use the 50/50 light that came with it.You will have to add a little topoff water each day.I do a 50 percent water change each two weeks.
Live stock are 1 neon goby,1 Golden coral banded shrimp,2 sexy shrimp.I keep a featherduster,Ricordia mushroom finger leather coral, misc. zoos Zenas.Couple snails and hermits.I also use it to grow calapera to feed my tangs in my 75 gallon.

Very Nice! I'm so looking forward to it. Thanks for the help!

The best advice for a pico tanks is, take your time and be patient and do your research. I would start with Mushrooms corals or GSP, for some reason I have trouble keeping Zoas in my 2 gal with 2x 50/50 lights. And make sure you leave room for growth, you run out off space quick in these tanks. Good luck

Three things you should get a refractometer, ATO and a liquid test kit.

The best advice is go slow any mistake will be multiplied in a small tank. It can be done and done well.

Yeah, I already have a liquid test kit, and plenty of refrac's laying around.

Back
Top Bottom