Calling all Albertans!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Calgary here too

new to the hobby but loving every frustrating moment. having some problems with my fisher kings but hopefully everything will work out. as for LFS i have been to them all, and i like pieces pets on mcknight.

Hi everyone.

I'm in Edmonton, currently have 120G sw display and 33G sump. Aquarium illusion is my favorite place but often go to AquaGiant. Both of this store sometimes out of reality with prices but at AG at least I can bargain with the owner. Other than salt and a few frag I buy everything
online, eBay and J&L Aquatics, free shipping over $100.
Anyone in the Edmonton area up for some trade? I have about 10 piece of brown-green hammer coral frag from the last split, the LFS wold give me $5 store credit but they don't sale it for less than $25. I heard that people trow out Chaetos and Grape macroalgae because of overgrowth, maybe we can set up some trade. Xenia, Toadstool, Finger/Leather coral and Birdnest can grow fast is certain tanks, anyone have some to trade or donate ? Last time I got a small batch of Xenia from the LFS for $15 it slowly died in a few week period, I want to try them again but don't want to trow out $$$

image-3594808540.jpg

This is when my tank was in the best shape, it crashed 2 times due to 2 day power outage and some weird chemical imbalance.

image-135775202.jpg

Hi everyone.

I'm in Edmonton, currently have 120G sw display and 33G sump. Aquarium illusion is my favorite place but often go to AquaGiant. Both of this store sometimes out of reality with prices but at AG at least I can bargain with the owner. Other than salt and a few frag I buy everything
online, eBay and J&L Aquatics, free shipping over $100.
Anyone in the Edmonton area up for some trade? I have about 10 piece of brown-green hammer coral frag from the last split, the LFS wold give me $5 store credit but they don't sale it for less than $25. I heard that people trow out Chaetos and Grape macroalgae because of overgrowth, maybe we can set up some trade. Xenia, Toadstool, Finger/Leather coral and Birdnest can grow fast is certain tanks, anyone have some to trade or donate ? Last time I got a small batch of Xenia from the LFS for $15 it slowly died in a few week period, I want to try them again but don't want to trow out $$$

This is when my tank was in the best shape, it crashed 2 times due to 2 day power outage and some weird chemical imbalance.

Where is aqua giant? I have never even heard of them? I have seen aquarium illusions just not had a chance to get into them as of yet. Glad to hear I am not the only fish lover in the edmonton area.

I'm also in the Edmonton area, I'm purely FW though, I lack the expertise for SW I just joined the hobby last Christmas

What are you keeping in your tank? And what size do you have?

Well I've got 3 tanks. One 37g with a Leopard Ctenopoma, African Butterfly Fish, 4 mollies and one guppy (the lone survivor from the ~25 that were in there before I got the Ctenopoma), and Assassin Snails, a 90g with a Rotkeil Severum, 4 German Blue Rams, 10 Congo Tetras, and soon a trio of Red Head Tapajos and a Medusa Pleco. The final tank is a 10g with 7 Neon Tetras, numerous Assassin Snails, and an albino BN pleco that I'm growing up for the 37g.

Hey guys,

I live in Calgary and I own 4 tanks. 1 quarantine that is only 8 gal.

1 50gal tank is brackish with a moray eel in it that is about 14" long and he is all on his own. Soon we will be moving our Butis Butis crazy fish to this tank. They are so cool!

90gal African cichlid tank, with 2 pictus cats, 4 clown loaches, 1 common pleco, 1 rainbow shark and a mixture of cichlids.

70gal mixed tank. There are tetras, African butterfly, striped pictus, 1 bristle nose pleco, 1 bushy nose pleco and 1 tiger pleco, 3 yo-yo loaches, 1 synodontis catfish, and 1 fire eel which is only about 5" long.

And lastly out 30gal hexagon which is our true community tank. Columbian tetras, neons, striped danios, glo light tetras, pair of angels and 1 gold nugget pleco. That is my favorite fish. It is so bright and colorful.

Anyway, we have a variety of places to go in Calgary but the best and most knowledgable is Big Al's. Pisces is expensive and the staff are just ok. There is Gold's which is in forest lawn and they have some specialty cichlids and plecos.

Anyway, quick question.

Know any places in Canada or Alberta that sells RENA filter parts?? Ours broke and we had to order from the US. The shipping was more than the part. Just wondering what you guys do for stuff like that.

I'm from Lethbridge and its tough because I only have a Petsmart and a small LFS. The LFS scares me though as the stores dirty, dark, always smells like smoke and the staff aren't knowledgable but the livestock is quite high quality. I've never lost a fish that came from there.

Hey guys, Calgarian here. I'm not entirley new to this site but have not been online here in a number of years. I have a 90 Gal FW tank.
The LFS I like here in Calgary are Big Als, Riverfront and Pisces. I have gotten most of my fist this time around from Pisces, I got my tank from Big Als and I got my royal pleco from a small store in Canmore.

Hey guys,

I live in Calgary and I own 4 tanks. 1 quarantine that is only 8 gal.

1 50gal tank is brackish with a moray eel in it that is about 14" long and he is all on his own. Soon we will be moving our Butis Butis crazy fish to this tank. They are so cool!

90gal African cichlid tank, with 2 pictus cats, 4 clown loaches, 1 common pleco, 1 rainbow shark and a mixture of cichlids.

70gal mixed tank. There are tetras, African butterfly, striped pictus, 1 bristle nose pleco, 1 bushy nose pleco and 1 tiger pleco, 3 yo-yo loaches, 1 synodontis catfish, and 1 fire eel which is only about 5" long.

And lastly out 30gal hexagon which is our true community tank. Columbian tetras, neons, striped danios, glo light tetras, pair of angels and 1 gold nugget pleco. That is my favorite fish. It is so bright and colorful.

Anyway, we have a variety of places to go in Calgary but the best and most knowledgable is Big Al's. Pisces is expensive and the staff are just ok. There is Gold's which is in forest lawn and they have some specialty cichlids and plecos.

Anyway, quick question.

Know any places in Canada or Alberta that sells RENA filter parts?? Ours broke and we had to order from the US. The shipping was more than the part. Just wondering what you guys do for stuff like that.

Pisces Pet Emporium in Calgary has a repair counter area in thier fish room and that's where I've gotten parts for my RENA Filter.

RRBT for sale/trade

I short of real estate in my tank, anyone want to trade or give me ~$50 for each of my red rose bubble tip anemone's ? I'm interested to trade for anything so dont be shy :)

I'm in Edmonton Bellerive T5Z 2P9 area.

http://goo.gl/maps/EUIh2

kSElJWL.jpg

From Calgary here!!ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389160877.838124.jpg my 47 gal bowfront. Soon to be 90 gal upgrade this Saturday! I support golds all the way!!! Ocean creation is okay...

Golds is a fish and aquarium supply store on 17th ave SE. Best selection and prices by far!

Who/what is golds? Still learning some of the language on this forum?

Golds is an Aquarium store located in SE Calgary, specialize in mostly freshwater fish but they do have some very nice SW fish. Personally I have been in the store many times and only bought twice. I never find great deals there and its far from my house. Some of the fish look great sometimes they look terrible. Same with the coral sometimes its great sometimes its not. I dunno its overrated IMO. Hardware and food/chemical selection is great tho, they have lots of things and the prices are decent.

If your doing SW I recommend Concept Aquariums Home page

Reef Wonderland
Reef Wonderland | Welcome

And Ocean creations on 16th ave NW

Golds is an Aquarium store located in SE Calgary, specialize in mostly freshwater fish but they do have some very nice SW fish. Personally I have been in the store many times and only bought twice. I never find great deals there and its far from my house. Some of the fish look great sometimes they look terrible. Same with the coral sometimes its great sometimes its not. I dunno its overrated IMO. Hardware and food/chemical selection is great tho, they have lots of things and the prices are decent.

If your doing SW I recommend Concept Aquariums Home page

Reef Wonderland
Reef Wonderland | Welcome

And Ocean creations on 16th ave NW

Oh SW is in the future but I highly doubt anything would enjoy the 3 hour drive north

Oh SW is in the future but I highly doubt anything would enjoy the 3 hour drive north

You would be surprised, I have purchased a lot of things from Edmonton and driven them back to Calgary, even bought a few things in Lethbridge and transported them. Just know how to transport things and you will be fine :D

You're a brave soul magma. I get nervous with just a 30 or 45 min drive from the LFS back home with new additions. The dash between a preheated vehicle and the LFS at -25 is always my biggest concern. I know it's a short period of time just always makes me nervous

Back
Top Bottom