Can a pare of jewel cichlids live in a 20 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish king

Aquarium Advice Freak
And how many can I keep in there if they don't pare off

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

I think they could live in there temporarily, like for spawning, but overall I don't think that isn't adequate space for them. You could go with a pair of apistas. Is the tank a 20gal long or high?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think they could live in there temporarily, like for spawning, but overall I don't think that isn't adequate space for them. You could go with a pair of apistas. Is the tank a 20gal long or high?

I agree, it will work remporarily for breeding regardless of whether it's a 20g long or tall. Its not a good long term option for keeping them.

I would recommend at least a 30 gal minimum for them, but they won't really thrive in a 20 gal

A 30 gal minimum for one of them

I want to get a small group of them Intel they pare off and then just keep the breeding pair in the tank and take back the rest Will that work

And it's a 20 gallon tall

Short term... Maybe. But short term is going to only be a couple months. As when they grow bigger they won't be fit suitable for a tank of that size. I would advise against them in such a small tank. If you wanna do colorful cichlids, you could go with some colorful SA/CA cichlids, like some apistas. Or you could go with some African cichlids, such as some shelldwellers like some occies.

Back
Top Bottom