Can add Dicsus with these figures

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bballsosh

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 5a gallon tank and want to know if i can add dicus to it. It has been running for 3 weeks now with some fish and here are the numbers:

Amonia: 0
Ph: 6.4
Nitrite:2.0
Nitrate:5.0

And since i am new to this hobby how are my numbers looking? lmk thanks

No, wait until the cycle completes and your Nitrites are 0 before adding any fish. Is this a 5 gal tank or do you mean 55?

Moved to the Cichlid Forum.

I would wait till Nitrite is 0ppm . They like under 20ppm Nitrate so thats OK , ph looks OK , But 5gal for a Discus - kinda small.

If you mean 5 gal, no, if you mean 55 gal, depends what the other fish are and not until it has been cycled for a while. Discus prefer warmer temps, around 84-87 usually. Most fish are not comfortable at that temp long term.

Sorry about that but its a 55 gallon tank i currently ahve the following fish in it:

2 swanfeldi barbs
3 rainbows (2 yellow 1 blue)
1 redtailed shark

So once my cycle is complete will i be able to have discus?

bballsosh said:
Sorry about that but its a 55 gallon tank i currently ahve the following fish in it:

2 swanfeldi barbs
3 rainbows (2 yellow 1 blue)
1 redtailed shark

So once my cycle is complete will i be able to have discus?
i will leave the final answer to those that keep discus...but i am thinking NO :(

unless you plan to get ride of the fish you have i am afraid that the barbs and shark will be too aggressive, so to perhaps the rainbow. and they will not like the water chemistry and temp that the Discus MUST have...

not to mention i would let the tank run MINIMUM 6 months b4 adding the discus to make sure everything is stable...

I'd have to agree the barbs will be too aggressive. The shark may end up being aggressive as well. Once your cycle is complete and you have gotten rid of the other fish, you can add discus but the longer you wait to add the discus after the tank is cycled the better. I'd recommend a discus only tank with perhaps some bottom feeders. Discus require very pristine water conditions and as I mentioned, higher temps than most tropicals are comfortable with over any length of time.

The reason Jdogg is suggesting at least 6 months is that until a tank has been established for at least that long, you can't fully count on it remaining cycled. Discus will not fair well with parameter swings.

Back
Top Bottom