Can anyone id this fish for me??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's a praecox rainbow. The flash makes it hard to see but it looks like a male. The males have red fins and are a brighter blue while the females have yellow fins.

The guy at my LFS told me it was a baby boesemani rainbow

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Fairly positive it's a praecox. How long is it?

rainneon.JPG
These are praecox.

Id say about 2 inches. He told me when he grows heel get the colors
Of the rainbow fish but know that ther babys the colors dont show. He could be wrong

Of the rainbow fish but know that ther babys the colors dont show. He could be wrong

Yeah that's 100% not a boesmani. Even when young they'll show wildly different colors.
He wouldn't have any of that metallic blue or red fins if it wasn't a praecox.

At 2 inches they should be breeding size. That fish isn't a juvenile. I would bet that your LFS guy got it wrong.

He's definitely wrong. I got my boesemani at about an inch long and they were already showing their colors.
Yes, they are a schooling fish. 5 or more. They're also fairly quick and active so make sure you have the tank size to accommodate that.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Theyr pretty expensive. I have an 80 gallon. Thatl be good right?

A 4 ft tank would be the minimum I would consider for them. Yes, they are fairly expensive. I bought my praecox at $5 a piece a while back.

Anytime there's a question about rainbowfish tank size I always suggest 6 feet and Mebbid always swoops in behind me and suggests 4 feet. But I'm taking into account how active mine are and how big the boesemani can get, though I guess it isn't common I've seen some pretty monster boesemani, easily more than 5" head to tail.

Ya how do u remember? I got him not so long ago about a month and a half. Hes doing great and getting along fine with my red tail shark. When he gets big for the tank im gonna take him back though. Great fish! Thanks for asking

Anytime there's a question about rainbowfish tank size I always suggest 6 feet and Mebbid always swoops in behind me and suggests 4 feet. But I'm taking into account how active mine are and how big the boesemani can get, though I guess it isn't common I've seen some pretty monster boesemani, easily more than 5" head to tail.

30 gallons - Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Boesemani Rainbow

29 gallons - Boeseman's Rainbowfish - The Care, Feeding and Breeding of Boesemani Rainbowfish - Aquarium Tidings

55 gallons - Boesemani Rainbow,Â*(Melanotaenia boesemani)Â*Species Profile, Boesemani Rainbow,Â*(Melanotaenia boesemani)Â*Care Instructions, Boesemani Rainbow,Â*(Melanotaenia boesemani)Â*Feeding and more.Â*Â*::Â*Â*Aquarium Domain.com

4ft - Melanotaenia boesemani (Boeseman's rainbowfish) — Seriously Fish

21 gallons - Boeseman's Rainbowfish - Melanotaenia boesemani

4ft - Fishkeeping - Caresheets - Bosemani Rainbowfish () - Melanotaenia boesemani

30g - Boesemani Rainbow – Melanotaenia boesemani | Fish Sabby

55g - Boesemani Rainbowfish – Melanotaenia Boesemani | Tropical Fish Site

The list goes on, but maybe it's me.

The only one I could find listing a larger than 4ft tank as a minimum on the first 3 pages of google.
http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/Rainbowfish/BoesemansRainbowfish.php

I'm not saying you're wrong. I've never kept them in a four foot tank so maybe they're fine. Mine utilize the full six feet, every inch of it. And like I said, the only place around here I've seen boesemani rainbows at had huge ones which it get isn't the norm but influences my decision.

I have 3 Australians and I am rehoming them. When you only have 3 you have to be careful and make sure it is 2f and 1male or all 3 the same. I would definitely go for more if you can

Also pretty positive it is a dwarf rainbow like they said (praecox). It is definitely not a bos.

Back
Top Bottom