can Coppersafe CAUSE flashing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Possibly made a huge mistake. A friend didn't like his snails so we dosed with coppersafe to get rid of them. Fish were not sick, but I was told it wouldn't harm healthy fish.

Now a guppy is flashing....

Just did. Phew. Seems he is not doing it as much. Did almost 50%.

Coppersafe is a bad idea unless he plans on never having inverts again. Have heard of and had unexplained invert deaths that could only be chalked up to having used coppersafe in the tank at some point in the past. Just my experience though.

jetajockey said:
Coppersafe is a bad idea unless he plans on never having inverts again. Have heard of and had unexplained invert deaths that could only be chalked up to having used coppersafe in the tank at some point in the past. Just my experience though.

Are you saying that once you use "coppersafe" that even after a lot of PWC, any inverts won't survive?

I'm just saying that I've had it happen and others have mentioned it also.

Unexplained invert deaths are nothing new or even rare but I've had a string of them only to make it stop by moving them to a different tank, and finding out from a previous owner that they used copper meds as their go-to treatment.

There's several articles and posts through google. I think the common idea is that it permeates the silicone seals and can leach later on, whether that's true or not I have no idea.

On that note here is a recent post on the same subject

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/coppersafe-150359.html

Back
Top Bottom