can different color Zoa's touch each other

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

joeyfromlawrenceville

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just like it says. I have limited space in my 3 gal, would like to but my orange Zoas real near my dk purple zoas, they might touch if they both extend all the way. The reason why is my purple ones have not looked right for a couple days, 1/2 buttons not out yesterday, none out today when I got home, kinda out of the water flow, thought I would move them for a day, the orange Zoas seem happy, so I will move the purple ones beside them.All tank measurements in check,well- PH at 8.1, bumped it up tonight- will check tomorrow. Other than that all is good.
Thanks,

I *think* that zoas get along even if they are different colors. Not positive on that. I have notice that some are more sensitive then others though. I have ones in my tank that are always open no matter what is going on and another group that if anything gets near them they will pout and close up for hours. Not sure why.

The more you mess with corals the more distress caused. It is natural for corals to recess for periods at a time, but I do understand your concern. Zoanthids will not affect one another, but faster growing varieties may out-compete or overshadow slow-growing varieties so you might want to separate by a 1/2in. or more.

Zoas will grow together and they will be just fine. As innovator said faster growers will cover more area faster.

I don't know about the 1/2" separation, they will spread so the 1/2" wont last long. I have several rocks in my tank with multiple colors of zoas growing on them. I think they add a lot of interest to the tank.

Sorry I didn't clarify, I meant 1/2in. separation because his particular zoanthid rock has not "looked right for a couple days," allowing them to adjust without being overshadowed right off the bat :)

Here is an old pic of a rock I used to have that was covered with 3 kinds of zoas plus palys. It was interesting to watch the proportions of colors change over time as they competed with each other, but it never led to the "extinction" of any type.
P1050733.JPG

Back
Top Bottom