Can I add anymore fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jennamckay

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gal planted tank with 6 platys in it right now. I would really like to get a few bottom feeders or algae eaters. I've heard a lot about amano shrimp, otos, and corys. I just really do not want to overstock my tank. Let me know what you think would be a good thing to add and why. Thanks!

I have a 10 gal planted tank with 6 platys in it right now. I would really like to get a few bottom feeders or algae eaters. I've heard a lot about amano shrimp, otos, and corys. I just really do not want to overstock my tank. Let me know what you think would be a good thing to add and why. Thanks!

You can add a baby siamensis, but you will have to rehome it once it come bigger. Amano/red cherry shimps will work well in a 10g with your platy IMO.

For low light tanks, you can add java ferns, they grow well under any lights. Cladophora ball (algae) grow under any conditions too.

Hello Jen...

Your 10 gallon tank is maxed out, girl. Livebearing fish are fast breeders and will outgrow this tank in one birthing. I would make plans for at least a 30 G. The sooner you can move the fish the better. In the mean time, change half the tank water every 3 to 4 days. Include some Hornwort too.

B

I agree with the above posts. Platys are dirty fish and 6 of them is already on the high side for a 10g. Plus they reproduce like crazy if you have mixed sexes. That being said, I think Amanos would be your best option because they are too big for the platys to eat and they have a very small bioload. Most fish will try to eat cherries.

Cool plants I use: Java fern, LACE java fern, amazon swords, Anubis. OFC I have more plants, but those are very low light. Java moss works too.

I think you are maxed out with 6 platy. I wouldn't worry about them breeding as the parents often eat the young unless you intervene. You could always rehome 3 and get a couple otos (remember otos and corys like groups of 4+ so take that into account)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom