Can I add live sand after cycled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

neastil

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
When I set up my 100g I was going on mostly past experience (which is limited at best with SW) and i went with crushed coral. Is it too late to add sand now that my tank has cycled and i have fish in it ?

it's not too late, but it'll be more challenging to do.

Do you have a QT or second tank available to host your fish while you make the swap? It'll be much less stressful for them if you do.

And are you planning on a complete swap out, or just adding sand on top of your CC?

It would be best to replace about 1/4 of the cc each week till it's all sand. Many folks have done it. Do as search and you should find quite a few threads on that topic.

You want to have some sort of barrier that goes front to back to keep the 2 substrates separated while you change it out.

No i don't have a quarantine tank yet and I was thinking if i go for it, removing about half the crushed coral and replacing with sand. I'm assuming that will increase my bio-filter?

If it was me I would siphon up 1/4 areas of the substrate and then use a piece of PVC and slide the rinsed new sand down to the area you need it at. Then in a week or two move to the next 1/4 area and keep doing it till all the CC is gone and tank is all sand.

Back
Top Bottom