Can I cover my lights with a blanket ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yakdagnals

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so here's the story I have a tank that's got some plants that have to be on a 24 hour light schedual until there a bit bigger and the light at night is bothersome so is it safe to cover the fluorescent lights with a blanket or fire hazard?

If you put the blanket over the entire tank it should be fine. Just make sure whatever you are using to cover the tank doesn't actually touch the lightbulb.

Be very careful, some lights can get quite hot, what sort if lights are they, can you post a pic?

I don't know how to post a pic but it's just an average florecent light it's the length of a twenty gallon and it doesn't seem hot at all to be honest

Ok so here's the story I have a tank that's got some plants that have to be on a 24 hour light schedual until there a bit bigger and the light at night is bothersome so is it safe to cover the fluorescent lights with a blanket or fire hazard?

Why do the plants need a 24 hour light schedule?

Why do the plants need a 24 hour light schedule?

I'm curious too? What kind if plants? This could stress your fish out big time as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Never heard of this 24 hour light for plants.

Algae farm springs to mind if this is for any length of time

Well this happened to be my only non fish tank fire belly toad terrarium and the plants are something I got from a friend and the only have to have 24 hour light until the plants reach at least 2 inches in height then 12/12 I would never stress my fish out like that and I covered the lights all night no heat blanket was fine but I do appreciate everyone's opinions

Care to share the name of these plants?

Some of us would like to know so we can see if theres anything to be learnt here

Well this happened to be my only non fish tank fire belly toad terrarium and the plants are something I got from a friend and the only have to have 24 hour light until the plants reach at least 2 inches in height then 12/12 I would never stress my fish out like that and I covered the lights all night no heat blanket was fine but I do appreciate everyone's opinions

The sun doesn't shine 24 hours a day. Plants don't need light 24 hours a day. Running lights more than 6 hours a day, esp without using CO2 will just grow Algae !!

Are you growing these Dry Start Method ?? Or are they under water ?
Even DSM doesn't use 24 hour light.
12/12 will also grow Algae.

Please don't stress Frogs with such long light cycles either.

Regards,
Tina
member San Francisco Bay Area Aquatic Plant Society

former member of
Northern California Herpetological Society

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plants need a night cycle. I'd gladly be educated otherwise.

Also, a blanket covering lights is definitely a huge fire risk. Unless you're draping the light *around* the tank, and not literally on top of the fixture itself...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

What if they're plants that only grow in Alaska during the month when it's light all the time??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm also curious about why you would need a 24h photocycle unless you're trying to grow algae.

Also, a blanket over the tank would at the very least dramatically increase your tank temperatures.

Hi. I am an electrical engineer. Do not cover your light fitting, the 'electrics' could overhear causing failure or worse a fire. If you need to mask the light then rap the tank avoiding covering the lighting unit itself.

Back
Top Bottom