Can i do this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CEverii

Aquarium Advice Freak
So it's going to be about another week or so before i get my LR. Can i go ahead and mix my salt water and get it in my tank, along with some live sand? I have the live sand thats in the little water bag. Also, will my powerheads prevent the sand from settling? Maybe i should keep those off and wait for the sand to settle...

Turn your power heads on as soon as the larger sand has had a chance to settle. It takes me awhile to get the flow right anyway so I create a few sand storms when setting up a new tank.

That sand really isn't alive there is now worms or anything in it. I don't understand why they say it is alive since even the bacteria has had a chance to die.

What sized tank you talking? If large enuf for a sump, I'd do fw first and trun on all the pumps and let it go for a day to ensure no leaks. Now if a smaller tank with no sump - or if large w/sump, Id mix the SW in the tank w/no sand first if easier for you.

P.S. - that lice sand in a bag won't do anything special for you IMO. Maybe less dust than a bag of dry though.

It's a 75 gal tank. So should i just run some RO water through it, and if no leaks go ahead and mix the salt in?

And yeah, i have a 33gal rubber maid tub sump with the 5gal bucket filled with bioballs and and layer of foam media on top

That's what I'd do since there are pumps and hoses involved where leak opportunities exist. After the leak test, prolly gonna mix the sand in the main to JUST a bit over the desired level. Then, when you turn the pump to run it to the sump and back, you're adding more fresh water and will bring the salinity back down a bit.

I'd like to hear some other sugestions, but that's what I'd consider doing.

Last edited:
That's what I'd do ..... very slowly on the salt add though with all the powerheads running 24/7 while your adding the salt

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom