Can I have a 10gal FOWLR ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kansei

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a spare 10gal tank with light hood , aquatech 10-20 filter , 100w heater and the want to set up a small sw tank . Not looking for fancy just LR with a couple of inverts and a clownfish - an anemone if I could to have the clown feel at home . Also could I use LR/foam in the HOB filter instead of a carbon/biofoam refill . My main thing is can I actually make a tank like this happen . I don't want to lose my 125gal FW tank , so this will have to cure the SW itch .

well Im not 100% sure if all of those supplies would be able to be used for SW but I dont see why not, as long as you keep an eye on your heater so it dont get to hot, if I remember right 10 gallons get 50watts. The heater I have in my 29 SW is 100w and I usually have to run it below 74 to get at 74. Look around in the nano area at the topics where others are posting about their 10 gallons, might get a few tips from that.

Look around in the nano section yes, however you can have a FOWLR for sure.

I would not use those filters. All you need for a 10 gal. is about 15-20 lbs of LR, small powerheads, or 1 powerhead, salt, a good heater, sand (Titanium is better) Cycle and you are n business.

Usually protein skimmers are used but for that size tank if a small bioload is kept and PWC are done you would be ok.

The anenome is another story. They should not be put into a tank that is not fully established and need good light. And a 10 is to small for many anenomes. The fact is that clownfsh do NOT need an anenome to be happy at all.

The reason I say to scratch the filter is because it can lead to a buildup and nitrates and f you decide to upgrade lighting and add some easier to keep corals you will be all set. Plus a filter takes up alot of room in such a small tank.

Keep in mind that with a tank that size you have to keep up with water paramters and topoffs to maintain stability. It can be done, but takes a little work.

Come back with more specific questions and we will help you out.

if i were you, i would save up a little extra money and put together enough for something at least 30 gallons. do you have any experience with 10 gallons? i am working on my first saltwater, and it's 40 gallons, i run into problems all the time. luckily, i have enough water in my tank to be comfortable. i think you should still do a saltwater, but try to save up a little and get something like 30 gallons or so. it sounds like you already have some of the equipment for a 30, so think about it. good luck either way, and i hope you enjoy your tank, no matter what size.

Let me say first that it can be done but you`ll need to stay on top of it every day. Smaller tanks are less forgiving of mistakes and neglect than larger tanks that have more water volume. I also agree that an anenome needs to be in an established tank of about 9-12 months. As stated above you might even put it in your tank and the clown will totally ignore it.I have two clowns and they ignored mine and host a bubble coral and a pagoda cup coral. There is no guarantee. Check out the nano forum also. Hope all goes well

I know that a small tank is alot of work . It's just I have all the stuff I listed . I would have 3w per gal lighting and I only want a single clown and a couple of inverts . LR is $10.00 a pound here - so it would still cost 150-200 to fill , stock and mantain- at lest double that if I bought a 29gal . As for the work - I spend about a hour every day cleaning checking equip/perameters in my two tanks now (125 and 10) , thats not counting three meals a day for them . I forgot I also have a spare powerhead301 (174gal/h) - I guess I could use that with the LR for filtration. Sorry guys I don't get to the SW parts of the forms very often , so I never realized the nano section was there. Maybe someone could put this tread in there.

Also could I use actual seawater for the tank - I live 10 minutes from the atlantic so there is alot of water I could use.

I`ve heard that if you get it close to shore that it probably has pollutants in it. Just what I`ve heard.

Eh too many chances for parasites and other nasties to chance it

Can't wait to see pics of the tank. I agree with what everyone else has said as well. Salt is relatively cheap when you look at it, and you know it's safe. I would just use salt.

OK I am serious about it now and have my 10gal cleaned , black background , 2 x 23w 50/50 compact lights , 50w heater , small powerhead and converted an AC110 into a HOB fuge waiting now for the LFS i wan't to deal with for SW to reopen ( moving closer to me 5 min away) to get salt , LS , LR and refractometer . I will be using the same salt mix and matching their tanks salinity and ph. I still have to pick up a light for the fuge this week , is a 23w CF( 50/50 or reg light ) enough for the fuge and should the lights be on 24/7 or opposite the tank .

Sounds very similar to my 10 gal setup, although I do have a few softies, a condyalactis anem that my pink skunks live in, some snails and a frogspawn.

I use premixed SW from my LFS and top off with 1 gal jugs of RODI from publix. I rarely have to top off because the cover is almst compeltely covering the tank.

I also have an orange firedart, a cleaner shrimp and a scallop. Tank is doing very well. I'd be happy to offer any advice on keeping a 10 FOWLR since mine is very close to that.

Thanks , My main ? now is the fuge light , should I go with a regular CF bulb sold at LFS or a 50/50 bulb like I will have in the take . Also how are your lights in the fuge 24/7 or opposite the main tank. Oh I think I went past the FOWLR and will get some corals and inverts.

My light is a little clip on light for reading over my fuge....it is a 7 w CF light. I run it 24/7

Back
Top Bottom