Can I Start Planted tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Fish respiration produces CO2, just like your breathing does.

Is that just algae on the plants?

Severumguy
Are you sure that fish waste produces CO2??
I’ve never heard of that phenomenon.
Charles

My LFS told me that the waste will help produce CO2 in the water. How, I'm not sure. I trust them because they have a huge display tank for their plants and they are all beautiful, healthy, and big. Regardless, I know that fish help benefit a planted tank so you don't have to add as much chemical

My LFS told me that the waste will help produce CO2 in the water. How, I'm not sure. I trust them because they have a huge display tank for their plants and they are all beautiful, healthy, and big. Regardless, I know that fish help benefit a planted tank so you don't have to add as much chemical

im pretty sure fish waste creates ammonia......

The different bacteria that breaks down the fish waste through most of the cycle uses oxygen and produces CO2, one of the exceptions being the bacteria that breaks down nitrates. So in a sense, fish waste produces CO2.

The different bacteria that breaks down the fish waste through most of the cycle uses oxygen and produces CO2, one of the exceptions being the bacteria that breaks down nitrates. So in a sense, fish waste produces CO2.

Thanks for the backup. I didn't know exactly how to clarify it.

but is it even close to enough to sustain plants?

why would anyone even need to add co2 then?

I highly doubt it is sufficient for plant growth. You are going to be aiming for ~30ppm of CO2, that would be a LOT of fish waste. I think at that point you would be more worried about ammonia and nitrites.

The plant that's turning brown, looks more like it's got algae or diatoms on it. If it brushes off easily, then it's diatoms. Common in new tanks and should go away in a few weeks on its own.

but is it even close to enough to sustain plants?

why would anyone even need to add co2 then?

Yes it is enough if you have enough bio load in the tank to supply the co2. You would also need low light and low light plants. Diana Walstad popularized the natural aquarium where additional co2 additives are not required.

Did you purchase a fertilizer for your plants? That browning is diatom algae. Your tank is adjusting to the new lights. Eventually, the plants will out grow and out compete the algae.

Back
Top Bottom