Can i use the carbon again?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishyBusiness

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I used the carbon the first week when I got my filter then removed it for fishless cycling. I placed it in a Tupperware figuring it had 3 weeks use left... Anyway, my water is getting cloudy a little and I wanted to know if it'd be safe to put it back in for a couple weeks to see if it helps, or do I have to buy a new one?

FishyBusiness said:
I used the carbon the first week when I got my filter then removed it for fishless cycling. I placed it in a Tupperware figuring it had 3 weeks use left... Anyway, my water is getting cloudy a little and I wanted to know if it'd be safe to put it back in for a couple weeks to see if it helps, or do I have to buy a new one?

Carbon doesn't last long at all IMO, maybe a week it 2. I'd say go for it. It's not gonna hurt it just may not help.

I would rather use filter floss/poly floss/polishing pads to get the very very done particles floating around in the water. What filter are you using.

Yeah I was at Petsmart last night to look for some but I couldn't find any anywhere. Lady said they were sold out but my nearest LFS is an hour away and only go once a month. I'll have to buy some online. I have a 90g mbuna tank with AC 110.

FishyBusiness said:
Yeah I was at Petsmart last night to look for some but I couldn't find any anywhere. Lady said they were sold out but my nearest LFS is an hour away and only go once a month. I'll have to buy some online. I have a 90g mbuna tank with AC 110.

Oh ok I have a AC110 also. Put the carbon back in and see of it helps. I'd get some polishing pads when you can. You'll be amazed at what you see TRUST ME. I use them all the time and every couple of days I have to change them out. I buy them by the cases.

Yeah I've heard good things about using them. I figured til I did I'd see if I can use the carbon to see. What brand do u use or a good site to buy I from? eBay or amazon?

FishyBusiness said:
Yeah I've heard good things about using them. I figured til I did I'd see if I can use the carbon to see. What brand do u use or a good site to buy I from? eBay or amazon?

I use amazon. It's poly floss. Or you can get the stuffing for comforters. They sell HUGE bags at like a Walmart or a arts an crafts shop. Just make sure it's free of any chemicals. It will state on the bag that it is or isn't. It's white.

The poly floss looks like this, this is what I use.
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm

Check out the picture at the bottom. GROSS!! And we think our filters are doing an awesome job? This is what it picks up AFTER the sponge.

Ok maybe I'll get some at Walmart for now. Hope they have it. I'll have to look. I'm assuming you put it between the foam pad and biomedia or right on top?

FishyBusiness said:
Ok maybe I'll get some at Walmart for now. Hope they have it. I'll have to look. I'm assuming you put it between the foam pad and biomedia or right on top?

In between just like you said. BUT... I don't use bio media. I have a fx5 that's my main filtration. I weigh the floss down with a media bag filled with crushed coral to help buffer the water and maintain pH levels. It will be fine between the sponge and bio media in your situation. On top it will just float into your display tank which obviously we don't want.

Good luck

Carbon (Chemical) Filtration

Hello Fishy...

You can use the carbon. It will keep the odors in the tank to a minimum and help keep the water clear. After the three weeks, just remove it and start changing half the water in the tank every week. Large, weekly water changes will do much more than carbon to keep the water clear and will guarantee stable conditions for your fish and plants.

B

My tanks been set up for a while now and I do my 50% weekly changes. It's not horribly cloudy, just a little but I want it crystal clear :)

FishyBusiness said:
My tanks been set up for a while now and I do my 50% weekly changes. It's not horribly cloudy, just a little but I want it crystal clear :)

Poly floss/polishing pads will achieve that IMHO.

Getting Clearer Tank Water

Fishy...

I started using a polyfiber from a company named HBH. The medium is very dense and will hold the small particles of plant and fish material that tends to cloud the tank water. I just use the biomax and polyfiber in my filters now and the large, weekly water changes, keep the water chemistry stable for the fish and plants.

B

Convict2161 said:
I use amazon. It's poly floss. Or you can get the stuffing for comforters. They sell HUGE bags at like a Walmart or a arts an crafts shop. Just make sure it's free of any chemicals. It will state on the bag that it is or isn't. It's white.

The poly floss looks like this, this is what I use.
http://shop.mediabaskets.com/Value-Pack-Poly-Filter-Floss-3PACK.htm

Check out the picture at the bottom. GROSS!! And we think our filters are doing an awesome job? This is what it picks up AFTER the sponge.

Is it this stuff? 100% polyester?

Attachments

• image-3539530282.jpg
    image-3539530282.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 52
Ok now the dumb question. Do I wash it first or just rinse under water? I'm assuming just rinse it. Wow I feel retarded this morning lol.

FishyBusiness said:
Ok now the dumb question. Do I wash it first or just rinse under water? I'm assuming just rinse it. Wow I feel retarded this morning lol.

No dumb questions :)

Just give it quick rinse.

Back
Top Bottom