Can manila rope be used safely?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thorina

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can manila rope be used safely in an aquarium?

I was going to use it to wrap PVC pipe for turtle platforms. It says it's "all natural".....but will it do anything weird while submerged?

I looked it up and it looked like it was used for tea bags as well. So it seemed ok (but never used it). One other thought is if the rope gets any mold on it, may not be as good.

Abacá - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've been working on 2 turtle tank builds. Been making a lot of the pieces out of pvc because it's fairly cheap, if ya mess up.
All corners/joiners are reusable, as long as you don't cement it.

But...it's pretty ugly. I was going to aquarium silicone the "legs" and wrap them in rustic looking manila rope....kind of a "sitting on the dock of the bay" look.
The look seemed good, but the manila rope I got smelled funny. The package says "all natural"....but it smelled "chemically".
I decided not to use it because of that.

Then I went to the hardware store and smelled rope.....pretty much looking like a completely insane person. :lol:
The next "phase" of the build, I think I will look for something nylon or plastic that looks like rustic rope (mold/mildew resistant).....boil it, let it dry and see what it smells like.
Going to do the same with the manila rope I got, also going to try some hemp rope.

Thanks for you reply! I had no idea it was used for tea bags. Learn something new every day. (y)

Keep us posted on how it all goes :) Yes, now am eying off the tea bags suspiciously. I know it all gets treated and is all fine, just never thought about it.

Keep us posted on how it all goes :) Yes, now am eying off the tea bags suspiciously. I know it all gets treated and is all fine, just never thought about it.

Here's the one tank:

img_3027925_0_12d15bc3e763e3e0831272da4bd11243.jpg

Next to it is a tank for 2 sliders:

img_3027925_1_5fbdd66a03d9209bc3602636d63bae8d.jpg

I know krylon is safe for tanks once cured, but to get these platforms in the tanks takes quite a bit of "tweeking". I highly doubt the spray paint is *that* durable.
Hence the wrapping it in rope stuck to the legs with an under coat of aquarium sealant.

I am working on a cave right now that will also be the base for the ramp from the top floor to the middle floor.

And for tea bags, it's prolly fine. It's not like we have to live in a glass box with a 47 foot tall tea bag. We might not be as fond of tea. :ROFLMAO:

Looks nice!

I was hoping to justify a coffee machine but alas arguments fell on deaf ears.

Friends keep telling me to get one of those $100 Kerup things.

My 10 year old $12 Mr Coffee works just fine. :whistle:

Back
Top Bottom