can new carbon be used as substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jft

Aquarium Advice Regular
can black diamond carbon be waterlog ged and used as substrate on own or mixed w other materials?

It could, but I think it would lead to problems. Carbon isn't very dense, so it tends to get stirred up easily. I think it would also absorb a lot of nasty stuff and start leaching it back into the tank eventually.

If you're just looking for black substrate, there are options out there that are comparably priced to carbon. Tahitian moon sand comes in black. I believe EcoComplete (I think that's the right name) also comes in black.

Thanks I have tahaitian moon but I am not happy that it got caught in my pad and created several small scratches, and I heard that the older guys would sometimes mix in carbon if they had it laying around to darken the substrate or to save money.

I'd agree... you COULD, but...

I spilled a bit on my sand... and the python sucked it up easier than the poop!... So it would be a HUGE pain-in-the-butt when it came time to vacuum the "gravel"... even a weak vacuum will suck up the carbon chunks and spew them out the hose.

I would have to completely disagree with using carbon for substrate as it will eventually Leach some.harmful stuff back into your water and really do some damage to your parameters. Also once it gets waterlogged it is very light and as some others said it'll be sucked up real quick.

Also be careful with impellars unprotected by sand substrates killed an aquaclear impellar that needed to be replaced due to my carelessness so scratching tank glass and ruining impellares not protected by sponge could upset you like it did me FYI

Back
Top Bottom