can scaleless fish hold up to heat treatment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

papa_bear_21

Aquarium Advice Freak
One of the black mollies have a white spot on his face near his right eye. We think that its ich and want to do a heat treatment to see it that clears it up but we have 2 glass cats, a pleco, and 3 khuli loachs, can they hold up to the treatment? We don't to lose this mollie because thats my favorite fish, but i also don't want to lose any of the other ones. Please help!

The heat treatment will be your best choice. Those fish will do fine with it. The salt treatment or medications will effect them far worse.

papa_bear_21 said:
One of the black mollies have a white spot on his face near his right eye. We think that its ich and want to do a heat treatment to see it that clears it up but we have 2 glass cats, a pleco, and 3 khuli loachs, can they hold up to the treatment? We don't to lose this mollie because thats my favorite fish, but i also don't want to lose any of the other ones. Please help!

A quarantine tank would be a good idea, this way it would help prevent the spread of disease and you can treat the affected fish without harming the other fish... :)

but then again, if ick is alread in the tank, then it is best to treat the whole tank IMO. Scaless fish are usually more susceptable to ick, so it would be a good idea to do the heat treatment

WaterPond said:
but then again, if ick is alread in the tank, then it is best to treat the whole tank IMO. Scaless fish are usually more susceptable to ick, so it would be a good idea to do the heat treatment

Good point, but I guess if you split up the two affected types of fish, you could medicate the scaled fish and heat treat the scaleless fish, but I guess that's more work!!! :lol:

I appreciate all the replies...

As far as the QT goes, we have been planning, and saving, and just cant find the funds for even a 10g kit for a qt tank. we have a lil 1 gallon, but it would not hold near the amount of fish we have. I have read about the heat treatment, and agree that it is the best. I have the heater set to its highest at this moment, and will check temp when I get home tonite. does it need to be at 88 exact, or can it be a little above/below? I know that 85 speeds up ich, so avoid that temp...

Thanks again to all

your best course of treatment for ich is treating the whole tank with heat. If you break up the tank into small groups, assuming that medicine will do the trick, you're fooling yourself since you aren't medicating the others that will soon join them once the ich has passed.

Medications will only wipe out one step of the ich life cycle. 86 puts it into overdrive, but 88 will wipe it out, quite conclusively. I've used this a number of times, as have others i know, and heat did the job, each time, with no help from meds.

Be sure to increase aeration of your tank, as higher temps support less oxygen.

Go with the heat. The medications barely work and many times hurt more than they help. Just up the temps and keep up the oxygen levels.

Are you sure it is ich? One white spot on one fish is not the usual pattern. Are the fish flashing or showing any other signs of infestation?

I am moving this to sick fish.

I know we noticed the one white spot on moe, and the others had been swimming kinda funny, a couple seemed like they were flashing. We hadnt noticed any spots on any of the others, but thats not to say there werent any. The spot is gone now, and moe is back to normal. Neither of us really understand it...

you dont need an "official tank". You can get a rubbermaid tub, or its cheaper equivalent to house the fish in. They dont need lighting, you can move your filter over to the qtine tank from the main and just use an airstone in the main to keep the water circulated a bit.

We will likely be investing in a rubbermaid tote here soon, as our fishies are going on a trip to a new home. Hopefully they will survive the move, and maybe to a new home...we'll hafta see how the funds go.

Thanks to all for the help

Back
Top Bottom