Can/Should I add more substrate? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RioJAT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello everyone

I have a couple of quick questions please, thanks for your time :)

My 55 gallon tall has been set up since a week before Christmas.

Regular water tests consistently show Ammonia = 0-0.25 / Nitrite = 0 / Nitrate = 5-10 ppm, and I do a 50% WC every week.

I used pool filter sand (1 bag) as my substrate.

You all helped me complete my water cycle with seeding materials from established tanks. All the seeding materials are still in there.

My current stock includes 8 Black Skirt Tetras, 8 Dwarf Neon Rainbows, and 4 Swordtails (1 male, 3 females). I really want to add a small school Cory Catfish, but the more I stare at my tank ;-) the more I wish my substrate was a little deeper for them to forage......

I've read alot of examples of people's water chemistry changing from small changes to plants, decor, substrate etc.....

Which leads me to my questions : would adding another bag of pool filter sand be ill advised at this point?

I've also recently read that Corys like dark substrate to feel most comfortable (mine is a light brown/tan)

I'm in no rush. I just really want to be prepared.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

My concern with adding sand to a tank with fish is that the sand will likely suspend in your water and therefor the fish will be swimming and breathing sand until it settles. I personally haven't added sand with fish in the tank, so hopefully someone else with experience in this situation will chime in.

Thank you, I should have remembered that from the 1st time!! I plan to over rinse it this time, and can remove the fish per some advice from another thread...my main concern was whether this would upset my water chemistry. I've been told my substrate has a layer of slime - like stuff on the top, and I'm worried that covering that up with more sand might be bad....any thoughts anyone?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think you should just vacuum your current substrate as to not trap and detritus under new substrate, remove the fish, and add more.
Most of your bacteria is held in the filter, so it shouldn't affect your cycle.

I love my fish!!!

Keep them in a separate tank/bucket with an air pump and wait for the water to clear up, bad for the gills.

I love my fish!!!

I wouldnt worry about your water chemistry. Nutrients have a hard time moving through sand.

Back
Top Bottom