Can Siamese Algae Eater coexist with Green Tiger Barbs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RightTurnClyde

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was doing some research on the true Siamese Algae Eater fish. Do you guys think it would be safe to add one with a school of 5 Green Tiger Barbs in the same tank? They nipped my Ottos to death. Would the Siamese be fast enough to get away from them if they get aggressive?

problem not tiger barbs are nippy, if you get more tiger barbs the will settle down a little
thtas why I got gold barbs instead of tiger barbs

Otos are very small and easy targets for tiger barbs. The algae eater should be fine just make sure to float him in the bag for about half an hour just so the tiger barbs can realise he is nor a threat or food. Good luck

HI, Add more barbs, the funny thing about them is they nip less if there are more of them, it distracts them from targeting other fish. If you have a barb free community tank (except for peaceful species like Denison's and the other exceptions) I wouldn't add them at all, I tend to like adding a few of the slower swimming flowing fin species like male bettas and tiger barbs out of nowhere might suddenly decide to go after him like piranha and kill him mercilessly. Most goldfish are sitting ducks and their fin damage will quickly become apparent. IMHO tigers and other nippy barbs should be kept in species-only tanks or only with fast swimming short-finned species like wild type zebra danios. Hope this helps.

Tiger barbs do just fine with other fish, provided size. Size of the school is very important, as was mentioned. What has NOT been mentioned is tank size, which is equally important.

Tiger barbs do just fine with other fish, provided size. Size of the school is very important, as was mentioned. What has NOT been mentioned is tank size, which is equally important.

+1
Tigers aren't the little Satans everyone claims they are. Yes they can be terrible little fish if kept in tiny tanks, tiny schools and with tiny tank mates. See the key word here? Tiny; nothing small should be associated with these fish. In large tanks with a really big school they can coexist with a massive variety of fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Let's be honest, there are cases of tiger barbs attacking koi in ponds so the size of the body of water and the size of the other fish is no guarantee. They attack in aquariums of 125 gal + not only small crowded tanks. They will go after (especially in a group) fishes much larger than they are. I've personally seen them do this to a big angelfish. Will they nip less in a big school in a lightly stocked large tank? Most likely, but it still depends on what other species they are kept with. Slow swimming fish with long fins, especially small ones like male fancy guppies but also including fish species their same size and larger, are hard for them to resist, it's in their nature. Everyone who adds tiger barbs to a community tank should be aware of this, that's all we're saying. I think green tigers are beautiful fish and I keep them myself, but in their own tank just to be on the safe side (the added benefit is their school looks much prettier and more dramatic swimming by itself too btw), past experience has proven for me it's the best choice, but here's hoping nobody else gets nipped or killed whatever setup you choose...

Thanks everyone. The tank is a 29 Gallon, moderately planted. I know I'm already pushing it, keeping them in this size tank, let alone in what was a very peaceful community, until they showed up. But I just couldn't resist adding them. Rookie mistake, should have known better. I do really like them though. They don't bother my Zebra Danios or White Clouds at all. They are mostly top dwelling fish. Maybe I just have to not add any other bottom dwellers.

There are no guarantees when it comes to fish - they are living animals not robots. But that doesn't mean that we cannot expect them to behave in certain ways. Like with ANY combination of fish, it's all about the odds, and the odds of success go way up when care in how they are being kept is taken. No one is saying that you can stock them with any fish you want as long as you do this and that. But the idea that they have to be kept by themselves couldn't be further from the truth. Like with ANY combination of fish, temperaments must be matched.

In my experience a 29 is too small for long term success with tiger barbs. Even as a species tank.

throwing barbs @ tigers

They don't bother my Zebra Danios or White Clouds at all.

That's not surprising, if you notice in my first msg in this thread I recommended zebra danios as a safe companion species for them, funny enough I also thought of white clouds but didn't mention them, LOL! Nobody is saying they have to be kept alone, just be wise in selecting what to keep them with. I prefer how they look in a species only tank (they really look spectacular swimming that way, I must say) so I have no plans to add anything else.

I've been lucky with mine. We got 4 about 10 months ago and put them in our 20 gallon with danios, mollies, cory cats and a pleco (overcrowded, yes I know that now - they have moved to a 75 gallon since then). They never went after any of the other fish. I'm wanting to get more (maybe a few albinos and a few green) but am nervous this will change their behavior. Plus that and the ones in stick now are significantly smaller than the ones we already have - will they go after smaller tiger barbs?

Thoughts?

I, too, would also like to get some SAEs as well for this larger tank.

So do you all think adding two more Green Tigers to my tank (for a total of 7) would make enough of a difference in their temperament? AqAdvisor.com says my stocking would be at 100% if I did that.

Since they are in the wrong tank for the long term, I'm also considering just taking them back to the LFS where I got them and getting something else that will fit better into a peaceful 29 Gallon community tank.

What would you do?

Aqadvisor is extremely conservative in their stocking percentages.

I would return them and get different fish.

Where there is water, you'll find me in it, on it or staring at it

Replace them with 3 Dojo/Weather loaches, you'll get hours of daily entertainment. Checkout the recent Dojo loach thread for my explanations why in detail plus a pic and vid I posted there. In my experience Dojos have never harmed another fish, including each other, instead they love physical contact with other Dojos and play with each other constantly, you have to see it for yourself. King Dojo rules!

I should add, a 29 gal tank is considered the minimum size for them, but I've had friends keep them happy and healthy in smaller ones, it matters more to them to have physical contact with other Dojos (and with humans) than to have open space, they hate to be alone.

go dojo, go!

Aw heck, the ones you get most likely won't be adult size anyway, if you feel they need more space you can always transfer them to the bigger tank when they grow up. They are such a rewarding fish to have, can't recommend them highly enough!

I couldn't imagine having kept my dojos in a tank that small. How big are yours? I do agree that they are fantastic fish though, and definitely need a group. I had 7.

It's a youtube video, you'll have to contact the uploader to find out the size of the tank and how many he has in there (looks like a few). My gold trio are in my 95 gallon wavefront community tank.

You'll be glad to know that I took the green tiger barbs back to the LFS tonight. I got store credit so I think I might get some platies instead to be my colorful "centerpiece" fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom