Can you identify the problem?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

owen0992

Aquarium Advice Freak
My angelfish has been acting strange for three days. It is barely eating and letting the current push it around a bit. It is just a tiny current but it the fish isn't swimming as actively as it usually does. It also is sparingly eating and with not excitement as it had before. There are no signs of fungus on it so I'm guessing it's not that. The tank it is usually in is a 50gallon, temp at 78 degrees, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, ph stable. No signs of bullying. Could it be an internal parasite? That is all I can think of and some of it's actions match the symptoms but I'm too new to fish to really know. Here is a pic of it. Please Please help! I don't want to lose my fish. The redness/sweeling inside by it's gills make me suspicious.

ForumRunner_20121230_202928.jpg

ForumRunner_20121230_202944.jpg

ForumRunner_20121230_202957.jpg

Gosh it's gills are really red, aren't they. As far as I'm aware red gills like that indicate ammonia poisoning but if your ammonia levels are at 0, then I would consider treating for what else you might link it to. Maybe try banging the bottle for testing for ammonia I've read that it can help get a more accurate reading.

I would treat for parasites. Gill flukes can cause the red gills and not wanting to eat. Try treating for that and see what happens.

Thanks for the advice guys, I really appreciate it!! I started treatment for parasites two days ago because I ruled out the usual suspects. Any idea on how long it should take before I see results if parasites are truly the problem?

Back
Top Bottom