Can You IDENTIFY These Cichlids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rustypleco

Aquarium Advice Regular
hello everyone, i bought 3 cichlids over the weekend. however i have forgotten the names of them and want to do a bit more research on them, i will attach the pictures, if anyone can id them that would be great! thanks

the blue fish i know is pscudotropheus, but dont know what type? be is usually dark blue but sometimes goes a light baby blue.

Attachments

• DSC_0248.jpg
    DSC_0248.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 141
  • DSC_0237.jpg
    DSC_0237.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 135
  • DSC_0233.jpg
    DSC_0233.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 152
The blue fish look like colbolt blue zebra. The fist pic I'm not sure of but looks similar to otopharnx lithabate. Either way I believe it to be Hal. Mog is the man to Ask not sure if his full name tho.

i think you might be right with that colbalt blue. i googled them and look just like them. picture 2 is the female and picture 3 is the male. here is a side on picture

also a picture of there teeth :)

Attachments

• DSC_0266.jpg
    DSC_0266.jpg
    188.3 KB · Views: 121
  • DSC_0252.jpg
    DSC_0252.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 111
I could be wrong but I don't think cobalts have that dark blue/black barring on the fins.

Mbuna's are genetically very closely related and are capable of cross-breeding and producing hybrid progeny (generally not recommended).

Even if the female were a cobalt blue zebra like the male, they would only be a "pair" in the numerical sense. Mbuna's are polygamous breeders and are well suited to 1 male per several females per species and do not 'pair up'. This gender ratio will also minimize the chance of cross breeding.

Back
Top Bottom