Can you take another cycling question??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeavisMom62

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I had to set up a tank strictly for my african dwarf frogs. I used a filter that had been set up in another healthy tank, a seeded sponge from another filter (I always keep extra sponges in all of my filters), new gravel, heater, some plants. Let it run for about 24 hours then added frogs. Added a half bottle of SafeStart (should have used the whole bottle but I could only get one and I needed it for another tank also) and also used with Cycle, but had read on another frog site that Stability is better for frogs, so I switched to Stability.

Anyway, for the first three days I had no ammonia, no nitrates or nitrites. But now, the ammonia is steadily climbing and I don't know what to do. Obviously the tank is cycling, but I thought that by using a seasoned filter and seeded sponge not to mention Cycle/Stability, that I would have an almost instantly cycled tank. I've already lost one frog. Probably due to ammonia, but I don't know. So what do I do to speed up this process and get rid of the ammonia? I'm doing daily 50% PWC, adding Prime and Stability. Any suggestions? Is there anything that I am doing wrong? Please help!

it will be a shorter cycle with seeding, usually 2 weeks instead of 4+

I've had this tank up since 9-22-09. I shouldn't have put the frogs in it so soon, but I really thought that I would have a good cycle going almost instantly.

Any ideas how to speed this up? How to get rid of the ammonia? (As I said, I am doing daily 50% PWC). Is it ever a good idea to use Ammo chips or something like it?

I use ammo chips in my 150 and havent seen an ammonia spike since... I dont know that it works, it could just be that ive cut down on feeeding or somethign of that nature... About the only thing you can do is keep doing pwc's and use prime, as it converts ammonia in to soemthing more tolerable for fish... or you could take them out and cycle the tank appropriately

I use ammo chips in all my tanks ( didnt when I had my spike on that tank, was using carbon)now and the ammonia stays in check.

how much are you feeding them? what filter is on it? is it heated? in direct sunlight? do you clean the gravel too?

in sept, did you just set it up, throw the sponges in and then the frogs? what was the time period with that?

I am not sure what cycling appropriately means due to so many different methods out there, I cycle with danios mainly and do just fine, some cycle with ammonia, some with used sponges and flake food,ect,ect.

well what i meant by cycling appropriately ( i guess i used the wrong word... oops) was to take the frogs out, get the tank cycled, then put the frogs in... ive heard they are pretty sensitive to ammonia...

Ok I was confused cause of all the different methods I was like "theres more?!?!?!"

I cant keep AFD's alive, can keep neons alive for years but AFD's dont last long for some reason, even 15 years ago when I worked LFS they didnt last more then a few weeks, we stopped stocking them.

Bad thing too is if you dont get em out in a timely manner they decompose quicker then fish, skin vs scales I think.

I use ammo chips in all my tanks ( didnt when I had my spike on that tank, was using carbon)now and the ammonia stays in check.

I tried the chips but only for a couple of days. Took them out when I didn't see a difference, but then again, I only used half of what it said onthe carton.

how much are you feeding them? I alternate blood worms every other day and either Frog and Tadpole bites or Reptomin every other day. what filter is on it? Aquatech 5-15. is it heated? Yes, 80 degrees. in direct sunlight? No. do you clean the gravel too? Yes.

in sept, did you just set it up, throw the sponges in and then the frogs? what was the time period with that? Well, pretty much. Set up the tank with the used filter from a healthy tank and seeded sponges. Let it run a day and then put the frogs in the following day with some SafeSTart and Stability.

I am not sure what cycling appropriately means due to so many different methods out there, I cycle with danios mainly and do just fine, some cycle with ammonia, some with used sponges and flake food,ect,ect.

I had hoped that I cycled apropriately, or at least got a good start on it, but its taking longer than I thought and I'm worried about the frogs.

Ok I was confused cause of all the different methods I was like "theres more?!?!?!"

I cant keep AFD's alive, can keep neons alive for years but AFD's dont last long for some reason, even 15 years ago when I worked LFS they didnt last more then a few weeks, we stopped stocking them.

Bad thing too is if you dont get em out in a timely manner they decompose quicker then fish, skin vs scales I think.

EEewwwwww....!!! I had no trouble with my first two ADFs until we introduced the new one without QT first. (My bad). Now I'm trying desperately to keep the two that are left alive! I really love these little guys.

Ok, I continue to do daily 50% PWC and today, the ammo is.5-1 (as it was yesterday). I"m wondering if I should get a full bottle of SafeStart and put it in? Has anyone used it? What where your results?

Ive used stress-zyme, im not sure if thats the same thing as what youre talking about or not.. Some people dont like it, some do... its kind of a personal experience thing... I like it. It wont instantly remove ammonia though. Have you tested your tap water to see what the ammonia reading is on it? It may be possible that A- Your tap water has ammonia.. or B the test is bad... Or it could be neither... How much are you feeding?

I know I had to use some google-fu but I found the tap water quality report for my county (have to buy from the county). If you have muni water you might search and get the results for your water.

If you have prime (you can use others, but please check the bottle), you can dose it more. eg. 1 dose for the tap water + extra for the ammonia in the tank. It acts like ammo lock NH3->NH4 (safer and will be used up by the bacteria) but will register as active ammonia in the API test kits. Usually used if you have fish in the tank. If not, then don't worry.

From my experience the bio boosters are usually just helpers, they aren't instant cyclers. Cycle quicker, 2-4 weeks instead of 4-6 weeks. When I'm cycling a tank, i put in some bio booster every 2nd day and put in a touch of fish flakes. If you can, keep the temperature up to help cycle quicker, about 24 to 26 degrees C.

Thank you all. Rookie. Yes, I have tested the tap water and there is .25 ammo in it. Which certainly doesn't help. I don't think its the tester because the one tank that I have that ISN'T cycling, has 0-.25 ammo. The frogs get fed a little bit of bloodworm or frog pellets every other day.

Thanks, JP. I contacted my water company because in addition to ammo in the water, I had a ph jump in my tap water from 7.2 to 8.8. They tell me its normal.

Daid. I've been using double Prime with every PWC. Also using Stability every PWC as well. And as I've said I do PWC every day in that tank and also in another than that I have an ammo problem in.

I wish this would clear up soon. I shouldn't have been so impatient and did a fishless/frogless cycle!

I hear you about impatient. I want my bedroom tank to cycle so I can get some more angelfish... also an excuse to see if a friend of mine has the weekend off work, she lives right near a breeder/hatchery of angels.

It's been about 2 weeks and I haven't seen the ammonia level move a bit.. I do not want to strip it down and start all over :(

Back
Top Bottom