Can you use Seachem Purigen in a Topfin filter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok. I think I'll just order a bag from Amazon. I got one the other day from a PS for $14. I need another one and don't know about the pantyhose thing. Thanks
It would have worked out cheaper buy the 100ml bags. Hindsight is a great thing!!

Ok. I think I'll just order a bag from Amazon. I got one the other day from a PS for $14. I need another one and don't know about the pantyhose thing. Thanks

The panty hose thing doesn't work for long- from my own experience I would advise giving it a miss. The seachem bags are the best because they stand up to the concentrated bleach solution you need to recharge the purigen in. The bags you buy seperately are a lot bigger than the pre made baggies, but you will need zip ties to close them.
I got some stretchy bags from eBay that are okay, but I haven't used them long enough to say how they stand up to the bleaching process.
Unless you only want tiny portions, it is more economical and convenient to use the bulk purigen and buy the large bags rather than use multiple baggies. Baggies are great for HOBs.

The panty hose thing doesn't work for long- from my own experience I would advise giving it a miss. The seachem bags are the best because they stand up to the concentrated bleach solution you need to recharge the purigen in. The bags you buy seperately are a lot bigger than the pre made baggies, but you will need zip ties to close them.
I got some stretchy bags from eBay that are okay, but I haven't used them long enough to say how they stand up to the bleaching process.
Unless you only want tiny portions, it is more economical and convenient to use the bulk purigen and buy the large bags rather than use multiple baggies. Baggies are great for HOBs.

I think the smallest the pre bagged ones come in is 100mL. The bottle says 250mL treats 250 gal. I have a 55 gal Is it ok to use 100mL which is like twice the prescribed amount? I was gonna put 30 mL in my two filters.

I think the smallest the pre bagged ones come in is 100mL. The bottle says 250mL treats 250 gal. I have a 55 gal Is it ok to use 100mL which is like twice the prescribed amount? I was gonna put 30 mL in my two filters.

Absolutely. You just won't need to recharge it as often :)

Absolutely agree. I meant to add that to my post....

Absolutely. You just won't need to recharge it as often :)
I use 2x100ml bags in my 55g. I know it's overkill but it does give you longer between recharging. I can't say exactly twice as long between recharging because I haven't scientifically tested it but definitely a lot longer. It's just as easy to recharge two bags as it is to recharge one. Plus it WON'T do any harm having more than needed......

There was a guy on Ebay.UK selling ready made 25ml of Purigen. They are perfect for Hobs and internal filters. He is an English seller, so postage might be a factor but worth checking it out. I bought 4 bags for my 2 hobs, they are fine, so far(2months)

I use 2x100ml bags in my 55g. I know it's overkill but it does give you longer between recharging. I can't say exactly twice as long between recharging because I haven't scientifically tested it but definitely a lot longer. It's just as easy to recharge two bags as it is to recharge one. Plus it WON'T do any harm having more than needed......

I just received two 100mL bags from Amazon for $7 each so i will be doing the same with my 55gal. One last question. Do y'all think its ok to just place the bag on the dirty water side of the mesh filter cartridge instead of putting it inside the cartridge?

I just received two 100mL bags from Amazon for $7 each so i will be doing the same with my 55gal. One last question. Do y'all think its ok to just place the bag on the dirty water side of the mesh filter cartridge instead of putting it inside the cartridge?

Not sure how your filter is set up, but I always position my purigen so that is the last thing the water passes through on its way back to the tank. Otherwise its going to act as mechanical filtration and will get clogged up pretty quickly.

Not sure how your filter is set up, but I always position my purigen so that is the last thing the water passes through on its way back to the tank. Otherwise its going to act as mechanical filtration and will get clogged up pretty quickly.

Ok that makes since. So I'll put it behind the empty mesh cartridge. I have two Topfin 30s basic HOB. THANKS

Back
Top Bottom