Can you use silk plants from craft store in betta tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's hard to say. Silk plants designed specifically for aquariums have no water-soluble substances in them that could harm your fish. Craft stores may not adhere to these same guidelines when selecting their silk plants. You run the risk of introducing something hazardous into your tank with them in my opinion.

A lot of the silk plants I see in the dollar or craft stores, have wires imbedded in the stems to allow them to be bent and hold position. That is the part I'd be worried about. I have found some good looking plasic ones with no wires and used them in the past. If it was just the dyes you are concered about you could soak them in very warm water for a few days, allowing most of the dyes to leach.

I have also used some silk plant leaves in my betta tank. The main "plant" had wires in it, but the leavs did not, so I pulled them off and used them as sort of an overhang. I didn't see any problems.

Back
Top Bottom