Candy cane coral

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bugarte1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need help.... Have a candy cane coral with 3 heads gets really puffy during the day but when lights go out they shrink up. Had it for about 3 weeks water parameters are good I think. Please let me know if this is normal. Thanks

Need help. Have a candy cane with 3 heads on it. They get really puffy during the day but when lights go out the shrink up and no feeders come out. What I think is fine

29 gallon tank

No fish just some crabs and snails and one sifting star live rock heater and hang on the back filter for a 100 gallon tank that's it

PH -8.0

Ammonia -0

Nitrite -0

Nitrate- very low or 0

Cal- 400

Mg- 1050

Alk- 8

Hydrometer reads 1.019 last week just did a water change and trying to rase that up to 1.025 slowly.

Please let me know what u think

Your magnesium is pretty low. Doesn't sound like the candy canes are in trouble though. Do they ever have feeders?

Just last night I dosed mg trying to get it higher going to test it when I get home. I haven't seen any feeders yet. My tank been running for more the 3 months

That's normal. LPS tend to show drastic changes in their shape when the lights are out. i have a colony of frogspawn that's bigger than my head when fully open. but during the night, it shrinks pitifully (almost 1/5 of it's original size)

Really good to know I thought they were dying. Should I try and feed them during the day without the feeders being out. They never come out haven't sen them yet.

Souls I try and feed them during the day with no feeders out or should I try at night when they shrink up and still no feeders? Also what should I feed them?

Just fed them each a Mysis shrimp they took it in. Still no feeders out? Also how many times should I feed the coral? Everyday? Every other day ?

You don't need to feed any photosynthetic coral. The light over your tank is supposed to be its main food source. Don't bother with feeding, it can too easily lead to issues in your tank. In terms of getting the feeding tentacles to come out, it can be hit or miss...I have a candy cane colony where some come out and others don't. This has no negative effects on the colony either way.

Thanks for the info. I was doing some research on it and was informed that if u do feed it it will grown much fast.

Double edged sword. Might grow faster and might cause parameter issues which can stunt growth or even coral death. Feeding coral directly isn't even something I try myself.

Ok so maybe I'll let it be then thanks so much for the info. I would like to see a pic of your candy cane colony if possible. This is mine ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389402600.063551.jpg don't know if u can see it very good but that's after it ate about 2 hr ago I'll post one up of it when the light is on tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom