canister filter changes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clownface

Aquarium Advice Regular
just got eheim filter that has a carbon filter pad,fine filter pad,below the pad i have rock substrat,then acorse filter pad and finally a bed of mech stones what do i clean and what gets replaced monthly thanks

Well you shouldint use a canister filter for a SW tank, just because it will turn into a nitrate factory unless you clean it at least once a day. The only filter that you really need on a SW tank is a skimmer, LR and a DSB.

BUT..

You should change out the carbon pad and fine pad about once a month, and dont let the stones or the blue filter pad get touched by freshwater because it will kill all of the bacteria that it is growing.

You can use a canister filter for SW. It will just require periodic cleanings. I used Fluval canisters before, and they do a good job for the most part. I cleaned them out about once a month.
What kind of rock substrate do you have in the canister? I have heard of some people loading the canister up with reef rubble, and removing all the other contents for a more natural filtration. This way, there is nothing to replace. You will just need to clean the canister during regular maintenance. Just make sure when you do clean it, use SW as Fenix pointed out. HTH

Mike

Back
Top Bottom