Canister Filter Help - Rena Vs. Fluval

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skywhitney

Aquarium Advice Addict
From the reviews i've read the thoughts on these filters seem to be 50/50. I'm looking for info about which one the people here like better? Thanks for the help in advance!

I look at them equally. They have pro's that the other doesn't. The fluval hose connection is much better, IMO, than the xp series. The media baskets are also nice, as everything just kind of fits. The XP3 pushes considerably more water than the fluval 405, regardless of what they claim. It also has a little more cusomization ability on the intake and return when compared to the fluval. Either way, you won't go wrong. I have both and don't prefer one over the other.

mfdrookie516 said:
I look at them equally. They have pro's that the other doesn't. The fluval hose connection is much better, IMO, than the xp series. The media baskets are also nice, as everything just kind of fits. The XP3 pushes considerably more water than the fluval 405, regardless of what they claim. It also has a little more cusomization ability on the intake and return when compared to the fluval. Either way, you won't go wrong. I have both and don't prefer one over the other.

Awesome! Great info! Thank you! :)

I have been using the new 06 range I have a fluval 206, 306 and a 406 :) I love them they keep my water crystal clear.

Also from a mechanical view they are very very quite I can't even hear them at all

I have a fluval 305 and I absolutely love it, really easy to maintain because of the aquastop system, and I have to put my head in the cabinet to be able to even hear anything, which is still a very very slight water sound, even with your ear inches away. I just like how easy it is to maintain, but on the other hand, I've never used any other canister filter.

How is the maintenance on the fluvals? I've heard mixed comments about ease of maintenance and that priming was hard...any info about this?

Priming on the 06 series is cake. You pump a handle 3-5 times and wait for it to fill up. I believe the 05 series has this as well.

Devon6209 said:
Priming on the 06 series is cake. You pump a handle 3-5 times and wait for it to fill up. I believe the 05 series has this as well.

Same for the 05. Very very easy.

How is the maintenance on the fluvals? I've heard mixed comments about ease of maintenance and that priming was hard...any info about this?

Look up some youtube videos and see how easy or difficult it can be.

skywhitney said:

It has a self prime me thing on the top its very very easy

I am running the xp series from Rena for the last eight years. Great filters!! Not one issue in all those years and filters are still in service at this time. Cannot say anything about Fluval, never have used one. I have three of the Rena Filstars and they are quiet, easy to maintain, great for customizing media. Wish I had bought a couple for backup years ago when the prices were down.

I was leaning toward the Rena's but I found a killer deal on a Fluval 406 so I picked that up. Thanks for the help everyone!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom