Canister Filter Linking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't see any advantage to linking them together other than one less intake and return.

First, by linking them, you completely lose the mechanical filtration of one canister. Second, i would be concerned about burning out the motors for on the filters. I am not sure of the affect of have 2 pumps pull from just one intake or the pushing of water from one filter into the pull of another. Also, should one filter pump burn out or stop working, it would probably burn out the second one also.

If you are looking to remove clutter in your tank, you might consider having both filters pull from a large intake (plumbed separately) and having the returns come together into one large return.

Again, I would not do it. You really don't gain anything from it and could very likely ruin 2 filters.

Not worth the risk.

Thanks for you opinion. How about setting one up for just bio and the other up for chemical filtration????? Or should I just set them both up as a standard canister setup????

I would leave them in their original configuration.

I have 2 Eheim canister filters for my 75 gallon. I have a mechanical filter in the first stage and everything else loaded up with as much biological media as possible with one exception. One on my Ehiems has a media basket with detachable chambers (4). I keep one chamber empty (other than a foam material) in the event I need to add any type of chemical filtration.

You should need very little, if any, chemical filtration in your tank other than maybe activated carbon.

Back
Top Bottom