Canister filter provide enough oxygen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CraigMac

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, dumb question! I have a canister filter that is adequate for my tank but always supplemented with a hob. Well, my hob died. I'm debating on getting another hob or maybe a 2nd canister. (I like to over filter)

I like the quietness of a canister but my question is will the fish still get enough oxygen? Since there is no waterfall effect I'm concerned that perhaps my fish aren't getting the oxygen they need?

If you're worried about oxygen, you can place a spraybar either right above, right below, or about an inch above the water line. This will cause significant surface agitation and therefore oxygen.

Might be a bit loud, but you can find a place to adjust it such that it has good agitation and makes an acceptable amount of noise.

I wouldn't even worry about the o2 thing unless you notice your fish gasping or acting off. The surface doesn't have to be splashing for the water to be oxygenated, it just needs to be moving.

Sorry for my ignorance. Is a spray bar something you add to the output of the canister or is it it's own device?

jetajockey said:
I wouldn't even worry about the o2 thing unless you notice your fish gasping or acting off. The surface doesn't have to be splashing for the water to be oxygenated, it just needs to be moving.

Ok so as long as the output from the canister isn't to far below the surface then I should be good? Thanks.

CraigMac said:
Sorry for my ignorance. Is a spray bar something you add to the output of the canister or is it it's own device?

The spray bar is a long tube with holes that attaches to the output of canister. It evenly distributes the water coming back from the canister softening the flow. I can post a picture if you want.

I agree with jeta. Unless you're seeing odd behavior/gasping from your fish I wouldn't worry about it. I barely have any surface agitation in all my tanks including my overstocked goldfish tank (they have higher oxygen needs) without any issues.

That raises a good point. So now my question would be can you overdo the air input?? I have two HOB filters plus all four of my rocks decor has air ... Thoughts??

Attachments

• image-3300244034.jpg
    image-3300244034.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 690
Fishfriends said:
That raises a good point. So now my question would be can you overdo the air input?? I have two HOB filters plus all four of my rocks decor has air ... Thoughts??

Absolutely not.

Ok one more issue. I now notice a slight surface film, almost like you see if some gas falls into the water. Is that from my skin oils? Never had it before with the hang on backs. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom