Canister Filter with Co2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ricardo48

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi Everyone.

I am now using a canister filter on my tank but am a little concerned with high nitrate and co2 diffusion.

I hear alot of people dont clean out there filter for 5-7 weeks. I can already see alot of heavy solid debris at the bottom of the canister that has been sucked up. Wont this be a breeding ground for high nitrate as more and more waste accumilates at the bottom of the canister rather than being vacuumed out with weekly water changes?

Also I am using an Aqua Clear Cf-500 canister filter. I have my co2 line going direct into the intake strainer. I can see bubbles getting sucked up the hose into the filter. However after 24 hours I can see pockets of air in the canister. If its not all being diffused will this cause any major issues with air locks or will any bubbles that get to the pump of the canister just be broken up and pushed out the outake hose into my tank? Similar to running co2 line into your internal filter when it hits propellor?

might want to put it under the intake with a wooden diffuser. this way the co2 gets broken up more before it hits the filter. dont know what that canister is we dont have them in the states. have a pic?

well if you have plants with co2 even if it starts building up nitrates your plants can and will use them.

But what if they start going over 40ppm due to build up in canister.

The filter pump is at the top of the canister.

so water and co2 enter at bottom into a load of bio balls. They then go up through a basket of filter media and then through a basket of ceramic tubes. They then hit the top of the canister where the pump is and are pushed down the hose back into the tank.

Search for Aqua Clear CF-500 on google... all pics and info are there :)

So any co2 bubbles that make it to the top should in theory be pushed back into tank and dispersed via spray bar?

water change or clean it out. the question isnt what if the question is what are they doing.

yes i could google if i was the one having problems i would lol since i am not lol o well ill help what i know about.

Sorry its called Aqua One CF-500 not Aqua Clear. Was just saying if you wanted to see pic easier to search on net than me taking photo and uploading etc :)

easier for you but not for us. the people that come here to help others are helping many people that come here with problems and we dont have time to search the internet for everything and it takes time away from helping more people. so please make it easier on us trying to help you. if you can post a picture (which are worth a thousand words or more) that would be much more helpful or you can do the search for a pic and include a link to it in the post.

personally in the use of a canister filter i would make a diy co2 reactor and use that on the output tube.

easier for you but not for us. the people that come here to help others are helping many people that come here with problems and we dont have time to search the internet for everything and it takes time away from helping more people. so please make it easier on us trying to help you. if you can post a picture (which are worth a thousand words or more) that would be much more helpful or you can do the search for a pic and include a link to it in the post.

personally in the use of a canister filter i would make a diy co2 reactor and use that on the output tube.
worthy of a rep lol

Back
Top Bottom