canister media 405

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishboy87

Aquarium Advice Freak
elmont/valley stream, long Island, New York
hey party people's, the thought that I should probably change the media thats in my fluval 405 filter.....I currently have the two biomax and the two carbon that the filter comes with......i read that the carbon should be switched every three months and the carbon should also be changed but only once at a time(since its two of them)......its sad becuase i hate opening the filter becase of the air that gets trapped intside after putting it back together.......but i rather have the right components that is beneficial for my babies.....i have 7 in a 55......any advice will be greatly appreciated.....ps....please remeber that a i have a 405 fluval.......and the filter is a bout 4 months old(with the media).....

I also have a 405. I only change the biomax once it is absolutely falling apart and the carbon I alternate changing baskets once a month. You only want to change half of everything at one time. Hence why I alternate biomax baskets and carbon. You really don't need the carbon either. There are varying opinions on that. You could just put polishing pads or another material in there. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium

I'm running 3 405's, I would skip the carbon unless your removing meds or trying to remove tannins from driftwood, otherise it's useless and a waste of money. Just fill each tray with Biomax and you'll be set.I know you said you don't like removing the top but you will still need to clean the filter every 2-4 weeks by rising the media and sponges in tank water, not doing this will reduce water flow and raise your nitrate levels.

As far as microbubbles just give the canister a good shaking after you hook it back up and turn it on, this will remove any air pockets inside.

You can reuse the foam for years, I don't think I have ever replaced them.

Carbon can remove important micronutrients and trace elements so I wouldn't use it. If you are doing enough water changes you should not have any problems from not using carbon.

I cram polyester pillow stuffing in the bottom tray and fill the rest with biomedia. I would not suggest biomax, seachem matrix is a better biomedia. It has more bioavailable surface area and (arguably) allows for denitrification. You should not need to change the biomedia, I still have some from my fist fluval from over ten years ago.

If you need a specialized media like peat granules, crushed coral, purigen, etc just fill one of the trays above the floss.

Any filter should be cleaned on a monthly basis. Leaving debris in any longer will allow it to turn into a nitrate factory as it breakdowns and rots. Filters do not remove debris, they simply collect it for you to remove. If you don't remove it it will simply rot and pollute the tank.

Back
Top Bottom