canister or biowheel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aryiman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Which of these types of filters should I go with? Which is easier to clean and which keeps your water the clearest?

I would guess the HOB filters with Bio-Wheels are easier to maintain, but since I have never worked with a canister style I couldn't give you a definite answer! Maybe post some more info about your tank i.e. Size, dimensions, plans for the tank ... FOWLR or Reef and then some may be able to point you into the right direction.

Many people here don't use filters at all ... trust me, it was hard for me to grasp at first but it does work!! LR becomes the main source of filtration, but I still recommend using some type of mechanical filtration! :wink:

It's not usually reccomended to use bio-wheels in a sw setup, because they can harbor nitrates, which you want to try and keep as low as possible. A canister is a better choice, IMO, or like Jermz said, nothing at all.

I use a skimmer and regular HOB filter (with no biowheel) as my main sources of filtration.

Back
Top Bottom