Canister vs Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishyb

Aquarium Advice Regular
I know this topic has been beat to death. I would like to know from people who have had both. What set up do you prefer and why? What are the pro's and con's on each one. I seen on the canister filter I can buy an inline heater. That's really the only other thing besides the filtration system I run in my tank.

You could just drop your heater in the sump, no need of the inline stuff.

You can just change out the water in the sump (depending on sump size) for your water changes.

As stated above sumps allow you to hide equipment.
In regards to advantages in freshwater allow you to also:
-Increase water volume diluting toxins
-if have species that require low flow have heavy amounts of filtration
-keep plants if keeping species of fish that would destroy plants (goldfish, cichlids, etc)

In freshwater I don't see the benefits as I do in having them in a salt water tanks:
-there's no corals, so controling ph swings during pm is unnecessary.
-regular filters are not nearly as large as protein skimmers or as unsightly that you need to hide equipment as much.
-I've personally never seen a refugium setup in freshwater aquariums that function as well as algae inhibitors as they do in salt water. There maybe examples I've never seen.
-freshwater clean up crews are not nearly as functional so having a place to keep misbehaving ones isn't needed.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

hands down the best thing about sumps is extra oxygenation of the water. There are no down sides to a sump if it is used and set up properly.
The up sides of a canister is less noise from splash but the biggest downside, to me, is having to take the thing apart to clean it. With the sump, you set up sections that you easily remove so no need to stop the unit while cleaning. (y)

Having been around long enough to have gone through all the filtering systems since the 1960s, the best filter ever is the wet dry filtering system, hands down! (y)

Back
Top Bottom