Canopy Reno

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RCShevalier

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've long been considering what I might do to my canopy to enable me to grow live plants and think I may have come up with a solution. My aquarium is 48" and there are two separate 22" canopies on it with standard package lighting.

I was thinking I could replace the current canopy with two of these:
Aquarium Lighting: Marineland Glass Aquarium Lighting Canopies

This would give me lots of glass that I could then purchase a better light strip to put above and allow me to grow plants. I was thinking something like this:

Marineland LED Strip Light - 36" to 48"

Would making a change like this enable me to grow plants? Is there a better way to go about this? The length of my aquarium with trim is approx. 48.25". I would be fine with a 36-48" light correct?

Perhaps most importantly, what would be the best bang for your buck light strip? My tank is relatively deep at 24".

Thanks Everyone.

I can't really see the link of the light you're trying to use. But you could even go half and half and buy two fixtures. I know what that type of depth is like so you have fewer options. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1460462511.471090.jpg

You can try that chart for a little more of a guide. Obviously not a spot on chart because everyone's tank is different but like I said, a guide.

I can only speak from experience and on my 26 bowfront which is about the same depth as yours I rock a coralife dual t5NO on my tank. Lemme specify and say I only have ONE bulb that's considered for plants and the other is to "make the colors pop". I can grow anubias fine in there and Java fern and even red and green crypts. Water wisteria did really good in there at one point, so did an Amazon sword.

But I was also dosing. I was dosing my recommended dose of Iron, Potassium, Flourish Comprehensive, And Flourish excel. This is all from the seachem brand which I recommend for someone just getting into planted tanks. You can even go ahead with API Leaf zone or Co2 booster, I heard those were good.

All in all, you shouldn't have a problem if you get any dual T5 light fixture or even LEDS but just do your research on where that would put you when it comes to Low light, Medium, Or high lighting. You don't want too much lighting because you will deal with algae problems. You're almost always going to run into them anyways but they're easy to control with lower lighting in the planted tank.

It's all about balance in a planted tank. If you start dosing, you better not get lazy and miss more than a week or two. Or you'll end up with imbalances and algae like me. Lol.

Do you have any questions about lighting, ferts, or even plants you could check out? You seem like you got the situation down but just let me know.

Woah, there's are some crazy prices. I'm guessing you're looking for something around 100? I would recommend Finnex planted plus. I feel that would put you in the medium light range. I think a 48" would run you about the same price that you're looking at.

Woah, there's are some crazy prices. I'm guessing you're looking for something around 100? I would recommend Finnex planted plus. I feel that would put you in the medium light range. I think a 48" would run you about the same price that you're looking at.

Something around the $100 to the $150 mark would make me happy.

I looked up the Finnex Planted Plus and unfortunately it looks like they are no longer supplying to Canada.

Also worth noting that I'm not looking to grow any elaborate plants. I'd be happy with various crypts, amazon swords, etc.

Back
Top Bottom