Can't get rid of algae bloom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mjs61290

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey all.

I have a five-month old 75-gallon freshwater tank. It has several live plants and about 35 fish (all small schoolers).

A little over a month ago, an algae bloom formed in my tank and I have been unable to get rid of it.

I have tried everything from massive water changes, to changing 25-30 percent of the water every three days, to keeping the lights off several days (which I can't really do too much because of the plants), to cleaning out the filter, to cutting down on feeding and to adding a protein skimmer for more flow.

Nothing has worked.

What's left to do?

Should I just stuff it with live plants so they consume all of nutrients that the algae feed on?

Should I just stay with doing small water changes every few days?

Is it going to go away on its own?

It's maddening!

Jar it and sell it as fry food! There are many contributing factors for algae from overfeeding to having lights on too long. What's your tanks current schedule?

Jar it and sell it as fry food! There are many contributing factors for algae from overfeeding to having lights on too long. What's your tanks current schedule?
Well now I feed the fish pellets in the morning and that's it. Been doing that for about a month (I used to feed twice a day).

As far as the lights, they are generally on from 10:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m.

I had the same problem on and off for quite sometime then discovered when the nutrients that I feed the plants get outa whack or not used in correct dosing was the main cause of algae in my tank. I have an 80 gal and found by adding 12.5 mL potassium, 7.5 mL iron, 2.5 nitrogen, 1mL phosphorus twice a week and 30-40% water change once per week. Have lights on no more then 8 hrs any longer algae and feed fish once per day, just what they can eat in 3 min or less. Since I have been following this regiment algae problems have just disappeared.

Not saying this will fix yours but it is a good start, our tanks are close to same capacity. You may have to add or subtract nutrients depending on results. I know my iron had to be increased as the plants grew larger. I notice the leaves on my swords getting clear, the plant was eating itself do to lack of iron.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Do you have a picture of the algae? There's many types and depending on type it can help determine your issue

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom