Can't keep my tank cool

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I recently got back into fish keeping with a donated tank. My fish (two very very large, 5 year old tetras) seem fine and swim around normally, but the tank is 90. I don't know what to do, my house is insufferably hot. My tank has good aeration and filtration. Open windows in room, blocking sun, etc, don't seem to help. Are they going to be okay? They swim and eat fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

What kind of fish (LOTS of tetra's)?? What is the water temp (sorry I see it's 90*...I thought that was the gallons...)? That is def. high...most Tetras seem to prefer upper 70's to low 80's range.....Depending on how dedicated you are to it...you could look into a chiller for the tank....what size is it??

I clip on 8 inch fans on the back of the tank they seem to work good for me on a 95* day i can cool my tank to a steady 78*

2Q==

Z

Z

Last edited:
Fans are a good idea. It's a 20 gallon high with two tetras in it. They've been together for several years and I'm not looking to put any more in. I think I'll get a clip on fan for the top and see if it works!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

You can also do coooled water bottles fill them at about the temp you want and float them on top make sure they are clean bottles and monitor closely , I had to do the opposite in the winter when i lost power I had to use heated water bottles and float them on top of the tank, motoring the water temp, you can achieve the temp range with cold bottles it just is tedious the fan would probably be a better idea, they do make tank chillers but they can be pricey.

Also if you have air stones put them on full blast don't feed the fish and turn the lights off so they consume less oxygen, if you have lids, open them a bit this part won't lower the temp except maybe opening the lids but it will help the fish.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks for your advice! With the fan and the weather getting better, it's been stable at 80 degrees for several days. Yay!

Back
Top Bottom