Can't wait anymore

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kwenbee

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay, I just made up my mind to get a 29 gallon tank this weekend. My husband is unaware that I've made this decision, but he'll learn tonight.

My plan is to move the babies from the 10 gallon to the 29. Currently, the 10 gallon residents are: Swimmy the Guppy (about 3/4" long); Moon and Starfire, the zebra danios (about an inch long); Scooby, Fred and Goldeen, the black fin tetras (about the size of a half dollar - except for Goldeen who I'm not sure is a blackfin because she's colored like a pale goldfish rather than like the other two. She/he is a bit smaller than the other two); Lilo, Stich and Kim, the neon tetras make up the last of the residents (and they are all less than a half inch long). That makes nine fish, all under two inches long in our 10 gallon.

Now, my reason for moving these guys is not because they are crowded (although I know they will be soon) but so that I can split the 10 gallon tank in half and move Bill the Betta and his cousin Jake the Betta into that tank, along with Sugar the Catfish. I may get Sugar a buddy to pal around with in there.

Now....here are my questions:

I want to do a fishless cycle by using either ammonia or bio-spyra. I did a search for bio-spyra and came up with nothing, so where would I purchase it? I'm very nervous about using straight ammonia.

When I move Bill and Jake into the 10 gallon tank, should I empty the 10 gallon and clean it first? The tank is completely cycled right now. Or can I just insert the divider and just move them over to the 10 gallon? The water temps are almost exactly the same in all the tanks.

I plan on keeping Bill's current 5 gallon setup as a hospital tank. What should I do to keep the tank cycled? Get a couple little fish in it? What type?

How long should I wait after getting the tank set up to move our current friends into the new 29 gallon? This entire process is going to be a major project at our house this weekend. I also plan to go to the lumber yard with hubby and put him to work building my custom stand that will eventually also house a 55 gallon when I find one at a decent price.

One more question...our Walmart has a 29 gallon kit with the filter, heater, etc. for $95. Is that a good deal or should I look somewhere online?

Help me out, here guys...I've gone from two "free" goldfish to a 29 gallon (soon to also have a 55) in less than five months!

The kit is good, of course the filter isn't the best, but you can always upgrade that if you want. Wally World also has 55 gal kits, why not get that?

You should just be able to float the betta's and then add them just like you had just brought them from the store. Or you could take everything out of the 10 (gravel, decorations, filter media) and put it in the 29 and have basically an already cycled tank. Then you could take everything from the 5 gal and put it in the 10 gal and that would be pretty much cycled as well. IMHO you don't really need to keep a QT that small cycled all the time. Just clean it out and store it until you need it.

If you look online for a tank, you'll be spending a heck of a lot more on shipping, if they even ship a glass tank that size.

Here is a link for bio-spira: www.fishstoretn.com
That is where I got it for my 20 gal tank, but if you move all of your other stuff like I suggested you really don't need it. But that's just my opinion and a suggestion.

HTH & Good Luck with trying to stifle MTS! lol

Tiff

I thought about doing the move of all the gravel/decorations to the 29, but I think I want to change things up a bit. However, if I just move some of the gravel into the new tank, will that be enough?

The 5 gallon is not totally cycled yet, so moving the medium isn't going to make much difference.

If I order the bio-spira, does it have a shelf life? I'd like to have it on hand...I just DO NOT want to do the daily water changes necessary to cycle the tank the old fashioned way.

I'm going to have enough trouble netting those lightening fast danios to put them in a new tank as it is!

I'm almost positive I'm going to get the Walmart tank and just deal with the filter for now until I can upgrade it. The filter on the 10 is working okay and it came as a kit as well.

My problem with the 5 gallon is that I really have no place to store it, which is why I kind of want to leave it set up. It's also a rather pretty tank setup. I'm already going to be throwing away a one gallon tank so I'm not tempted to put anything in it.

I want to add a bottom feeder to the 29 as well, so any suggestions in that department?

If you put some of the gravel from the 10 gal in an old nylon and put that in the tank it would speed up the cycling process. Even if the 5 gal isn't fully cycled it should still have some good bacteria in it.

I believe as long as you keep the bio-spira refridgerated (spelling) it should be ok for a while, but ask Bernie when you buy it.

What about some Cory's? I have 3 peppered and 1 albino in my 46 gal tank and they are fun lil guys to watch, full of life and all that...

HTH

Heya Kwen? Bernie, one of our sponsors, sells Bio-Spira at a great price (and that INCLUDES shipping). If you can't find it locally, throw a post in the sponsor forum in "The Fish Store" section about it; he should get back to you quickly.

As long as all the fish in the 10g are healthy, no need to start all over. In fact, if your parameters are the same (nitrates, pH, temp; I'm assuming there is no nitrites or ammonia) you don't need to acclimate em. I've moved fish a number of times between tanks, and while I initially used to acclimated them I no longer bother. Never have had a prob. Even my angelfish fry went into a fresh 10g from the established 25g without an issue.

As for how long to wait, if you get the Bio-Spira, move em in right with it. Its meant to be added to a new tank along with the fish. If you do a fishless cycle, you'll need to wait until ammonia and nitrites are zero and you have nitrate readings before adding fish.

Heh, and I went from one 8g tank to 6 tanks (a 2 1/2g, 8g, 2 10g's, a 25g and a 55g) in less then a year. I have no sympathy LOL

Uh Oh I'm thinking with you ladies spurring me on my husband has no idea what he's getting into LOLOLOL

Well, the 55 is gonna have to wait just a little while. I'm still hoping to get a good deal on a used one, but I really need to get Jake out of the one gallon, so something has to give.

Hubby was actually not too annoyed about buying a 29 gallon, but he obviously doesn't remember that he has to build a stand :lol: so that might change things a bit. I did find plans for the exact type of stand I want and the guy who built his did it for $50, so that works into the budget quite well.

I'm going to order the bio-spira today and probably buy the 29 gallon at Walmart tomorrow or Friday. That way when hubby gets stand built on Saturday, I can set up the tank on Saturday night or Sunday. I will definitely let everyone know how it goes!

By the way, can I find those tank dividers online at the same place I get the bio-spira? Our Petsmart is 1/2 hour away and I would rather not drive all the way up there to get the divider if I can get it delivered.

I had good luck with the bio-spira.

I splurged and bought the 3 ounce for when I set up my 55 gal.
While the fish were in bags at the top, acclimating to thier new home, I gave the bio-spira a couple of good shakes and poured it in.

I had an ammonia reading for about a week (not high though) and nitrAte readings within 10 days with no ammonia and never even seeing nitrItes.

While your ammonia was high, did you do any water changes? Or just wait it out the 10 days until the bio-spira starts working?

Someone at work just told me (my daughter has filled them in on our fish keeping episodes) that Petsmart is advertising it's biggest Aquarium sale ever, so I may be travelling there this weekend to get my 29 gallon. Might just look at that 55 while I'm there, too :wink:

I'm considering live plants for the 29. Any suggestions? And do I just use regular gravel and stick them down in that or leave them in the pots sitting on the bottom?

As a recap, we have a guppy, three neon tetras, three blackfinned tetras and two zebra danios that will move to the 29 gallon. I want to add a couple bottom feeders, two more tetras and another guppy. That's not too many fish for a 29 is it? What sort of plants?

How about for the divided betta tank? Live plants or stick with the plastic ones?

I was just at petsmart tonight and they have a 55 gal with hoods for a little less then $100. Not to shabby I didn't think. I was gonna tell ya...lol...looks like someone already beat me to it.

Oh, no...that could be a problem! Less than $100 for a 55???? AAACCCHHK!!!!

The 29 gallon at Walmart is $95! Hmmm, might have to do some serious begging for hubby to buy it for me...guess I gotta get the kid to bat some eyes!

I do have to get the 29 gallon. My problem is that I want angels for the 55 and I can't have them with neons, right? I seem to recall either neons being tasty snacks for angels or neons nipping the angel fins....anyway, I need to move my two bettas to the 10 gallon and want to upgrade my other guys to a 29, THEN do the 55...maybe I can get the 55 now and just wait to put anyone in it...yeah right, like THAT will happen!!!

Everyone at work knows my fish saga, so they LOVE to point out sales on aquariums. Too bad my daughter's Godfather gave her a gift certificate to Toys R Us for Christmas rather than Petsmart!

Well, I have neons with angels, and have yet to have anyone disappear. I think as long as you keep the angels well fed, they should be alright. Although I am not an expert, this has just been my expereince. HTH and good luck with the tank thing.

Tiff

Okay, we're heading to Petsmart tonight. I can't buy the 55 yet. Even at less than $100 for the tank and hood, I'm looking at tons of gravel, decorations, filter, heaters and a stand. Obviously, once it is set up it stays put (625 pounds is an awful lot to move).

So, we're going to upgrade to a 29. Here's my new set of questions:

We have been given a tank stand for a hex style aquarium. I was leaning toward a custom built stand that would house all of the aquariums in one spot, but when I did the math on the weight of all three tanks, I think my floor might not be able to handle all that in one spot :roll:

So, I think they all have to be on different stands. The 10 and 5 right now are on a desk in my daughter's room. The 10 will need to be moved since she's getting our old computer soon and she needs a place to put it.

I have one wall in my living room that is perfect for the 55 when we get it, but I don't have a lot of space for a 29 and a 10 gallon stand. We have several corners that would work for a stand that aren't close to doors and windows. Since we have the hex stand (which needs major cleanup and painting work), what are the thoughts on a 29 gallon hex aquarium. I know they are taller and therefore some fish don't do well in them. They also look harder to clean.

Any advice is greatly appreciated...my fish list is above in this thread, so I won't list em again.

LOL Tis the curse or benefit of the hobby (depending on how you look at it).

I have 5 tanks running in my livin room atm, and I still need another 20-30g LOL Oi!

Sorry..hate to ask all these questions, but I'm really getting to the wire with this new tank...about an hour before I get off work and then an hour til hubby gets home and we head to to Petsmart.

Anyway, I didn't get a chance this week to order the Bio-Spyra. Can I take part of the gravel out of the 10 gallon that is already cycled, put it in the 29 gallon and add the fish right away or should I wait a few days to move the guys?

I've also heard something about filter medium...if I take the filter medium out of the 10 gallon and float it for awhile in the other tank will that work?

My guys are happy and healthy right now, so I really don't want to do anything to cause them problems. I've got a few fish to relocate into their new abodes, so I'm really trying to do this right. Plus, I am never gonna keep up with the water changes on two tanks...I'm just now getting lowered ammonia levels in the 5 gallon, so I've got probably another two weeks of daily changes in that one.

I think we're going to go with some neons or guppys in the five gallon. Maybe we'll just move Swimmy the guppy into the 5 gallon and get him some buddies, and then put everyone else in the 29 gallon.

Another question: I can't find Bio-Spira locally, or at least I can't at Petsmart. They carry something called Mardel A.C.T. It says it is bacteria to remove ammonia and nitrites. Has anyone tried it? Is it as good as bio-spira?

Sorry about taking so long to get back with you...

I just waited out the 10 day, for the most part.
I did small water changes to keep the ammonia from getting too high, but I made sure that I left enough of the old water in to help boost the bacteria colony.

I had thought I bought a thing of bio-spira that was bad when I saw ammonia readings, so I was preparing for the long haul. I may have gotten one that was "going" bad. That's why I think it took so long(bio-spira)/was so short(full cycle).

Good luck...

I love our live plants - actually have to stop buying them or my hubby is going to get mad LOL. I just push mine into the gravel - make sure your gravel is the smaller size. My banana plant has gone crazy and is huge. Frill did realy well but don't put it near the filter or it filters everything first and makes a mess. Have fun - my fish like the natural plants better, too. Don't ask me why!

I bought several different cycling product and none of them worked. The only thing that worked for me was the BioSpira. I would swear by it. Did you check marinelands web site to see if they could locate a store near you that carries it?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom