Carbo Plus CO2 Injector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DSenn

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone own this? If so, do you know how much CO2 is injected for each setting on the dial?

Don't buy it. If you already bought it, return it. It's just as expensive as pressurized CO2 to get started and more expensive to maintain. It works by breaking down the KH in your aquarium to produce CO2. Which means that it's going to destabilize your KH/pH if your KH is high, and if you have a low KH it'll be useless.

No, I own it, but I bought it a while ago, and I'm not currently using it. I am definitely not raving about it. What are my options for CO2 injection besides the Carbo Plus? You said pressurized CO2, but I am not familiar with such a setup. Does that mean using a canister with the turn valve, etc? If you have low KH, will it make your tank crash by messing with the KH? I've always had problems with the Carbo Plus, but I didn't know it worked if a funky way. I really just wondered how much CO2 is was injecting according to the diode. So it takes KH AWAY to make CO2? Isn't that contradictory because plants use KH?

The amount of CO2 released will be heavily contingent on the amount of KH within the water, so you could use the same settings in two different aquariums and get totally different results just because of differences in KH. There are actually some plants that can actually break down the KH to get CO2, but these are generally completely aquatic plants that won't survive at all above water. I don't recall there being any nutrients in KH that plants need, they do however us the Calcium and Magnesium that primarily make up GH.

Pressurized CO2 consists of using a CO2 cylindar with a regulator fitted with a needle valve. You can add other items like a selanoid with either a timer or pH controller to increase the automation. Airline and check valves deliver the CO2 to the aquarium and prevent backflow that could damage the regulator. Finally you'd need some means of disbursing the CO2 in the water. Inline Reactors, Intank Reactors, the Mist Method are among some of the more popular choices. If you went with a fairly basic setup and performed some DIY you could probably have a complete setup for $150 or less.

Lots of people have very low KH and successfully inject CO2 using a pressurized system without any problems.

Back
Top Bottom