Carbon dosing question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drew300

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey guys this is a question for those of you that have been in the hobby for a while or for anyone who has experience in carbon dosing. I have a 55 gallon tank with LPS corals. The tank has been running for about 15 months. I have been doin some research on carbon dosing to help beneficial bacteria. Lately I have been having a big problem with GHA and cyano. I have been doing water changes every couple days to bring my nutrients down. I actually managed to get my nitrates down to 0 my phosphates read between 0-0.25 it's hard to tell. The cyano has completely disappeared but I think it's because the GHA out competed for the nutrients. I can't seem to understand why I still have hair algae. I don't have a sump so I can't start a fuge or add reactors. I do have gfo and chemipure in my HOB filter and HOB protein skimmer. I'm thinking my bacteria population is down and I'm planning on carbon dosing. I can't make up my mind on what to use vodka, sugar, or vinegar. I also read that bacteria need both nitrates and phosphates to grow as well as carbon. What are your thoughts. My tank isn't that stocked. I only have a misbar blood clown, blue damsel, and 2 Bangai cardinals. I just recently got ridnof a lytretail anthias. I only feed maybe 3 times a week.

It can be a pain to track.
First thing is to address your phosphate test. If this is something that concerns you, then you'd want a low range phosphate test. .1 is a lot of phosphate and the goal is to run around .03 phosphate.
I'd still stick to water changes and manual removal. Algae doesn't vanish over night. Even a 50% water change will only take a nitrate level of 100 down to 50...even if it was detectable. The bacteria in your system has nothing to do with there being algae in your tank.

I had issues years ago with cyno and gha I start using red sea no po4 and have not had a outbreak in over two years as long as you follow the dosing regime and have a decent skimmer you won't experience any I'll effects .. I tried the excessive wc route and after nine months and no improvement I decided to carbon dose hope this helps :)

I had issues years ago with cyno and gha I start using red sea no po4 and have not had a outbreak in over two years as long as you follow the dosing regime and have a decent skimmer you won't experience any I'll effects .. I tried the excessive wc route and after nine months and no improvement I decided to carbon dose hope this helps :)
Thanks...it seems that ive actually got it under control...a lot of elbow grease and wc...i think my problem was the salt i was using. I change salt and now my tank after 2 wc is almost algae free. I say about 98% clean

Back
Top Bottom