carbon filtration with java moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

2ndtimer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all... Wanted to find out about using carbon filtration in a tank that I will have planted with Java moss. Most info I can find says not to, but I wanted to find out if I could since Java is sopposedly undemanding. Anyone using carbon/amonia neutralizing filtration with Java moss? :popcorn:

You can by all means. Just have to replace it in a couple of weeks.

Its just more economical if you use the extra filter space with something like filterfloss. Its much cheaper and cleans the water a lot more. The benefits you get from carbon you get from doing a water change anyway.

I do keep a box of carbon spare for when I dose meds or give my fish the rooibos-tea treatment. But that seldomly happens.

I was thinking that with the use of carbon/amonia filter and Java moss, I may be able to get away with water changes monthly...

In my opinion I would strongly advise against the use of products that remove amonia/nitrites/nitrates. They lose their effectiveness after a short time and that will play havoc with your internal biofiltration.

Great advice... I will use the regular filter floss in place of the carbon pack and save the carbon to use as needed to remove meds. I will monitor closely to see if I can get away with water changes monthly. Thanks

Monthly water changes aren't my ideal routine, but plenty of people do them. And it's much easier to get away with it in a heavily planted tank since the plants consume the nitrates being produced. So as to what would help extend the periods between water changes, I'd look into more plants.

I will be looking into more plants, but want to see how the Java moss behaves first.. Thanks for the great advice :)

Back
Top Bottom