carbon question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does carbon have to be in a filter? I have a small tank with shrimp and the filter does not have enough cabin in the filter cartridge. It always smells. Can I just put it in a bag and sink it to the bottom?

Without any flow through the bag it would be kinda pointless. If your tank smells you probably need to increase your PWC schedule.

I do not use carbon if it is a planted tank. If I used anything I would use purigen.

Its just a 1.5 gallon shrimp tank. The only reason I have it is cause my fish got to big and they were going to become food. So if there needs to be flow, my only other option is to get a new filter. Is that it? My only option? They might just become food. Im not sure I want to spend it.

Shouldn't need to use carbon, it's only really useful for removing toxins, meds etc as it does not last very long. Most carbon filters will be useless after around 2 weeks.
Water changes will work better for odours, and in 1.5 gallon would take a few minutes to do.

Borderlesscott said:
Shouldn't need to use carbon, it's only really useful for removing toxins, meds etc as it does not last very long. Most carbon filters will be useless after around 2 weeks.
Water changes will work better for odours, and in 1.5 gallon would take a few minutes to do.

I hear what your saying however I disagree about what its for and how long it lasts. It no doubt removes odors and I don't think anyone knows how long it lasts. If I had to guess more like 4 weeks however either way nobody is answering my real question of will it work just sitting in the water vs in a filter. I guess ill just try it.

Using Chemical Medium

Does carbon have to be in a filter? I have a small tank with shrimp and the filter does not have enough cabin in the filter cartridge. It always smells. Can I just put it in a bag and sink it to the bottom?

Hello Life...

If you change half the water in your tank every week, you don't need to use carbon medium. The water changes will do much more to maintain the water chemistry.

Odors in the tank are from too much dissolved waste in the water. The large, frequent water changes will resolve that issue.

B

Lifeoffroad said:
however either way nobody is answering my real question of will it work just sitting in the water vs in a filter.

I did answer your question...

blert said:
Without any flow through the bag it would be kinda pointless. If your tank smells you probably need to increase your PWC schedule.

Using Carbon Medium

Hello again Life...

If you want to use carbon outside your filter, then rinse the bag of it in some of your water change water and drop into in the tank. Place it near the filtration equipment or an airstone, so you get some water circulation around it. It will work the same as if it was in the filter.

B

Back
Top Bottom