Cardinal nipping newly introducted guppies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hayward13889

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi guys,
im new to this site and to keeping fish so bear with me and be patient! :)

so i started keeping cardinals about 5 months ago, ive tried in the past an never had much luck but this time ive done pretty well as ive only lost one but i think there was something wrong with him from purchase.
i have a small starter tank which is about 18 litres or about 5 gallon roughly i think. i have 6 cardinals and two shrimp. they have been fine and got along well so far until i recently introduced 3 guppies. the cardinals seem to be obsessed with nipping at their tails. it seems to be just one guppy they target but will have a go at the other too occasionally.
im guessing there could be a number of issues..
-is my tank overcrowded? (although i did make it clear to shop what i have)
-is the guppy not well?
-are the cardinals territorial because they been there so long?
the last point of territory is making me wonder as the nipping seems to get a lot worse when the light is turned on?
there is no visible damage to the guppy but i imagine there are not having the best of times in there. unfortunately i dont have a spare tank to separate them atm but im guessing this is an essential i should invest in.
any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Yes your tank is overcrowded, the guppies have pretty flowing tails and no place to escape.

Yeah I've posted on a Facebook group too and come to that conclusion, currently out shopping for bigger tank, thank you for your reply

Back
Top Bottom