Cardinal Tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Calypso77

Aquarium Advice FINatic
How many can you put together? I was told you can do 3 and was also told you have to do 5. Can you get away with 3?

They are a schooling fish. Personally I would not do less than 5, they would feel much more secure with 5 or more. I don't think anything catastrophic will happen if you only did three, but they will be happier and you will enjoy the interaction much more in larger numbers.

Pipedreamer86 said:
They are a schooling fish. Personally I would not do less than 5, they would feel much more secure with 5 or more. I don't think anything catastrophic will happen if you only did three, but they will be happier and you will enjoy the interaction much more in larger numbers.

I totally agree with you but three would be fine but why not just pay a little extra to get at least 4.

Thanks guys. I am just trying to not over load my tank.

I know what you mean. But if you really want the best for your and from your fish, you should have a proper school of 6 or more. How bad are you stocked? I am a little over myself, but if you have really good filtration and keep a really good maintenance schedule, you can overstock a little. Also keep in mind how active your fish are and make sure there is enough space for them to swim around.

I think you would be ok with 6 cardinals in there. You would absolutely need to maintain a good, consistent maintenance schedule. Platies and mollies are slobs!

i started out with 5 in my 29 just to not shock my tnak and after a week+ i moved it up to 12. trust me i notice a huge difference from when there where 5 to now, they were skittish and hid alot but now they run the tank even pushing my cherry barbs out of the way when they want to shoal around.

Calypso77 said:
I have a 20 gal with 3 Platys and 2 Mollies.

It should be fine with 5. I personally would still add more fish like Cories, Otos, or a Ram.

It should be fine with 5. I personally would still add more fish like Cories, Otos, or a Ram.

I was looking online at the German Blue Rams, they are gorgeous. Wonder if you could just do one or better to do 2.

i started out with 5 in my 29 just to not shock my tnak and after a week+ i moved it up to 12. trust me i notice a huge difference from when there where 5 to now, they were skittish and hid alot but now they run the tank even pushing my cherry barbs out of the way when they want to shoal around.

Ya no way am I doing 12 that's for sure. ;)

Calypso77 said:
I was looking online at the German Blue Rams, they are gorgeous. Wonder if you could just do one or better to do 2.

One will be fine but a pair is better but a pair could work with your current stock.

You can do one GBR. When you have a dither/schooling fish, the GBR becomes more social. I have mine with black skirt tetras, and he is great. He even schools with them sometimes! When you have more than one, they can become territorial. And a male/female combo is no guarantee to pair off.

Ya I don't want any chance of fry in my tank. Been there done that. :)

Back
Top Bottom