Care package arrived!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The problem I found with swing arms is consistency. Take a reading after you think you have it calibrated. Now rinse it with fresh water (as per mfg instructions) and let it dry. Now do another SG test. Never had two that agreed. As I was testing the SG of my 125 gallon tank, I know the SG did not change from 1.026 to 1.022 in a matter of hours, or form one day to the next. Those are the types of swings I would see.

Get a refractometer. Don't use test strips either. They are fine for a swimming pool, but not for a sw tank.

the strips are more of s hold over till i get sw master kit i havnt even started cyclin yet. as for the hygrometer i will in the future invest in one but for now im gonna use it and compare results with lfs refractonomter and mark on my hygrometer the suggested range

The hydrometer will be fine for a fishless cycle. Get a refractometer when the cycle is near complete and before you do the large pwc.

During the cycle you only want to test for ammonia, then add nitrite, then add nitrate. I would not use strips for those tests either. They are just too unreliable.

Ahh sorry Wolf, I was just trying to help you out with the strips. lol maybe you can find another use for them. I use mine as a checker sometimes in my fw tanks. If anything shows up on the strips I generally do a liquid test. :)

carey said:
Ahh sorry Wolf, I was just trying to help you out with the strips. lol maybe you can find another use for them. I use mine as a checker sometimes in my fw tanks. If anything shows up on the strips I generally do a liquid test. :)

lol ikno im gonna do what you did if anythin shows up with em then il test

Thats how i realized my ph had dropped in my FW tanks yesterday. I just use them once in awhile for ha ha's but it caught a potentially bigger issue.
:)

Yeah you can't tell the color s really well. With the trites and trates if any pink shows up I usually head for the API kit.

How's your savings going? You had $15 bucks last time we talked.

it turns out my sister took the cash i was fuming and nothing was done i still have a 3dollar card to petsmart from when i returned the fish for store credit. hopefully my grand mother will have stuff for me to do for cash all i really need from the store now is heater + salt then im orderin rock online

Cool. Good deal. Almost there. Your mom didnt have anything to say about your $15? I'd hide my money from now on.

it was the one off chance it wasnt hidden and i had it layin around next to the tank. all i got in response was dont leave your money out*sigh* its not that bad im askin around today of there's anything i can do for some cash i only need about 13bucks n i can buy the topfin heater if i get anythin more il buy a small bag o sat or a thermometer

hey carey im gettin 20bucks for cleanin have a 3buck card and a 3dollar off cupon to petsmart would i be able to get small thing of salt

hey salts better than no salt after all i wont lose any to evap. the heater im lookkin at is 17.99 or 18.99 so with a extra 3 buck card and 3bucks off i may be good right?

Yep. Dont forget a thermometer. they are like $2 in walmart. And yes, I think you will be ready to cycle soon.

Oh, the sw kit has ammonia test in it

Back
Top Bottom