Carey's Bio Cube Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
carey said:
I would put the live rock back in first off and let it settle overnight. My pod tank took over a day to clear up. I'd leave off the powerhead for now but keep whatever filter you have running I;d think to help clear it up.

Hope that helps. :-D

Thank you thank you thank you!

Was nervous I screwed my parents' tank up...haha 20 g is a lot bigger than my baby 6 g tank!

Sarcothelia said:
Compared to leopard wrasses, mandarin gobys are for newbs haha. My LFS went through 6 before they found a pair that lived and actually bred in their 800g display.

Wrong fish gobys are beginner fish we're talking about dragonets.

I love my mandarin, she was curious about flakes and swam to the top with the clowns to see what they were! They are amazing to watch!

LOL. I can't wait to get mine! I'd love to put it in the cube but i think that's too small, but I bet if I put one in the 125g I'd never see it. :-(

Such decisions LOL

I was actually thinking on keeping it, but I was thinking just a fowlr. I might have the sandperch from my cube to deal with if he isn't reef safe or if he gets vicious. Stupid petco and their mislabeling.

I also would love to have the $500 or so I'd get from the 55g, I could buy more livestock for the 125g or new bulbs. :)

I can also add that the 55g has alot of pods in it. See, makes it even more mandarin friendly. BUT $500 is alot of money....Plus I'd have to buy new rock for the 55g since I emptied most of it into the 125g.

I see my mandarin in the 180. Not all the time mind you, but at least daily. She is a pretty fish I agree, but not even close to my favorite.

I see my mandarin in the 180. Not all the time mind you, but at least daily. She is a pretty fish I agree, but not even close to my favorite.

I wouldnt mind seeing the fish at least once a day. :)

What is your favorite fish if not the mandarin?

My blue spotted jawfish has crazy amounts of personality. Love to watch him watching the rest of the tank. He is also sometimes the biggest pain.
Also my Midas blenny bc I love her colors and the way she swims. And of course the clowns and my blue spotted goby because they will come eat out of my hand.

LOL, sounds like you have no favorites, you like them all. hehe....I feel the same way I guess, I love my clowns to death, my blenny is full of personality, Bob the seahare cause he is sooo cool....and of course my tang, she's my first tang so I think she'll hold a special place in my heart. :)

Yah I agree, I only see the one in our large tank about once or twice a day. I think they are better in nanos, I love my mandarin in my nano. Plus I find it easier to spot feed her in a smaller tank. It sucks not many people can be successful with them in nanos though.

Do you think it would be too much for my cube? Having the mandarin and the scooter? The scooter is totally on prepared foods now and is getting a bit chunky in fact.

I will be adding the media basket and fuge mod to the cube as soon as I get around to it. Just need a fuge light. I hate to spend the $50 on that stupid magnetic one...are there any alternatives?

I'd say go for it, they are both slow eaters so I think they would both get equal amounts of pods and if the mandarin was on prepared it would be fine. There will be a lot of people who disagree of course but I've just had such luck with all my mandarins I guess lol. I am going to re-home my wrasse in my nano to a friend actually, he is such a fast eater and I think he is out eating the mandarin for pods. The mandarin was looking a bit skinny so I have been feeding her daily sometimes even twice a day instead of every other day to keep her plump.

Oh and I don't know of any good fuge lights sorry, all I use is like reading lamps haha you could look into getting a clip on one? I don't know what you will be growing though.

Last edited:
My citron is an unusually slow eater as well. The clowns, well, you know how they are. I have the scooter and gang eating on the left side of the tank, I squirt food down through a turkey baster. I feed twice a day, 1/4 cube each time.

I'm really tempted to get the ORA mandarin now, LOL. I just have to re-home the sand perch I guess. The candycane is going into the Pico that I'm sitting here patiently waiting for.

I just wanted to grow some chaeto, maybe get my pod population back up. The only light I've found is this one
JBJ NANO Glo 4 LED Refugium Light - AquaCave

I am keeping the stock hood so I cant do a clip on light.

Back
Top Bottom